PC Help

mab_bellamy

Visited Divx movies few days ago, and cuaght your show on there, all i can say is it is great! keep up the good work. Now wonderd if anyone could help me. I am running XP SP2, but my computer keeps freezing up. I mean mouse stops, everything, the machines just pauses :S. Is there any software you could recomend that could monitor my pc/hardware as this is something that happens on my pc all the time, like 2-3 times an hour. Am sure it is a hardware fault, and have formatted my computer and still does it. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Mark

Try using for a LiveCD Linux Distro, if the lockups persist it is deffinitly a hardware fault. I have a computer that does this and there is no fixing it. Strangly this computer only locks up if it has a network card fitted in it. No matter what OS I use (BSD or Linux) it will just lock up.

OK. So i have been running Linux DyneBolic for the last hour on my computer, surfing the web and listening to music. It neva crashed once, so maybe it's just a windows thing, and i have not got DrWatson so aint got any log for the error that is freezeing my machine. Is there any other software i could use to monitor my pc so afta a crash i can go back and see exaclty wat my pc was doing at the time? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

OK. I Have already done as sugested, and found that SPTD.sys is sending some error about some driver. Now i have researched the problem and alcohol 120% and deamon tools came up. Av tried the repair that was suggested on the site. Now all i can do is sit and wait and see if my pc crashes. Thanks for all the help! i will let ya kno the outcome later on.

Mark

yep, its using same settings, just the cpu is ova clocked using the fsb. but this has neva been a problem. The side of my case it open, but i have tried cleaning it out, and still crashes. I have taken the side of the case of due to the fan now workin, and has been off or last year. Pc is in small room, not sure if it has got damp and that may of caused the error :S but this is only a recent thing to start happening on my computer.

This neva worked :( still crashes. not sure if my usb could be doing this. As i have updated them to usb 2 drivers, and this may of caused the error, as me mouse, network adpater are usb, so gonna try with old usb1.1 drivers.

Ensure that the components inside your computer are well seated and secured. A badly installed or unseated RAM stick or a loose PCI card can cause this behavour. Perhaps run a test on your RAM and see if it is still in good shape.

ye, and as myne is sat in a little room that gets hot anyway, and pc does not have any fans on the case :( it kinda gets hot. I try keep it as cool as possible.

The solution to my problem tho, as far as i can work out, is my usb. My USB ports are usb 2 but the orignal drivers where 1.1, so i installed some "enhanced usb host controller" and now i have removed it, pc is workin fine again :) just on usb 1.1 :(