Zombie Power

Zimmer

Ok over the almost two years I have had this dell laptop it has been a PITA, but recently my BIOS error saying battery is unrecognized and can not charge... But yet it did charge and would last from 1 hour to 45 min. But then it suddenly went down to 8 minutes :( but still usable then the BIOS recognized the battery suddenly. But now windows would say it is charging but stay at 0 % ok so I unplug the computer it STILL RAN! so I shutdown and charged the computer, it charged but I then unplugged it and it said it was still ON AC POWER, it ran and was fine for 10 minutes then said low battery and I plug it back in... so what is going on... Oh and if you could get this from the following post I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DELL :angry:

Ok over the almost two years I have had this dell laptop it has been a PITA, but recently my BIOS error saying battery is unrecognized and can not charge... But yet it did charge and would last from 1 hour to 45 min. But then it suddenly went down to 8 minutes :( but still usable then the BIOS recognized the battery suddenly. But now windows would say it is charging but stay at 0 % ok so I unplug the computer it STILL RAN! so I shutdown and charged the computer, it charged but I then unplugged it and it said it was still ON AC POWER, it ran and was fine for 10 minutes then said low battery and I plug it back in... so what is going on... Oh and if you could get this from the following post I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DELL :angry:

It may need to be "reset/refreshed". Newer laptop batteries have intelligence to them as far as reporting back to the BIOS how much power they have. Try searching Dell's site about refreshing the battery. It typically entails charging it fully then running it on battery till it's dead, usually from a boot screen where Windows Power management won't shut you down prematurely. Then charge it again for a 4 hours to ensure full charge and repeat the scenario. Some laptops manfacturers have programs to do this to ensure full discharge and charge (exercising). After 3 cycles of this it should start reporting correctly. If the battery is over two years it may be shot. Most are designed to last much more then a year.

Li-ION are better then previous battery types but they don't like being fully charged for long periods or fully discharged. They are much happier hovering in the 50% to 80% charge.

A lithium ion battery left fully charged all the time will eventually result in significantly reduced capacity.

You may be able to recover it by repeated charge and discharge. The easiest way to do this is to set a start up password so no OS is running to interfere with the process.

I would run it on Battery until it dies, continuing to try to start it several times until it no longer responds. Then try charging it, see what happens.

Thanks guys oh and I did the restart battery thing, charge, discharge repeat repeat and windows says it is totally dead 0 percent and yet it keeps running... so I check the battery seating and still same thing I will continue with the charge discharge. :)