Is there any point in keep this computer?

dummptyhummpty

I inherited a Dell PowerEdge 700 (P4 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 80GB HD) and added two 500GB drives and a cheap SATA RAID card in hopes of loading ESXi so that I could experiment with Windows Server Products. Unfortunately, ESXi isn't supported on this hardware and Windows Server 2008 R2 requires x64 (which I don't think this is). Should I sell this and put the money (won't be much) towards a new (cheap) ESXi server? I can't really think of anything to use it for except that I was going to play around with web hosting on Ubuntu, but was going to do that in a VM as well. Just looking for some feedback.

If you don't want it, at least keep the parts. You can use them if your main PC breaks down. Or, you could back up your computer on the two hard drives. That's what I'd do.

Some good ideas, I don't know if any of the parts are compatible with my other computers, but I'll check. I used to use the drives for backup, but those have been replaced with a 1.5TB drive. I guess I could use it as another NAS or something, not that I'm low on space on my existing one.

I inherited a Dell PowerEdge 700 (P4 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 80GB HD) and added two 500GB drives and a cheap SATA RAID card in hopes of loading ESXi so that I could experiment with Windows Server Products. Unfortunately, ESXi isn't supported on this hardware and Windows Server 2008 R2 requires x64 (which I don't think this is). Should I sell this and put the money (won't be much) towards a new (cheap) ESXi server? I can't really think of anything to use it for except that I was going to play around with web hosting on Ubuntu, but was going to do that in a VM as well. Just looking for some feedback.

I'd appreciate it! :D haha

You could use it for a number of things though. You might not always want to have your current desktop doing everything. It could be a torrent seedbox if you're into P2P, a physical test box for anything and everything, it could be a mod project, etc. Wanna automate things in your house? Use it as the control center. If you'd like to automate, voice command, etc. things around you house you might wanna read about X10 technology (Although their site looks like a rip-off/cc stealing sit for some reason... o.o ) and look here.