Test your Multipass in a Virtual Machine!

H@L0_F00

awesome work. I just have one question. it worked for me for a couple of boots but now it's not finding my drive. It's saying no boot devices found. I apologize if this an obvious question but it's 3:00am and my red bull is wearing off.

thanks

edit: tried it on a windows laptop (i do all my work on a mac with W7) I guess there's a problem with the VM because my Multipass is working. I'll look into it more tomorrow.

It sounds like you may have booted the VM with another USB medium inserted. VMware auto-connects the last used USB device when it's set to auto-connect a USB drive. You can try to connect it manually:

VMware Player:

1. Boot the VM

2. Go to "Devices" found at the top of the window

3. Find and select your flash drive from the menu

4. Click "Connect (Disconnect from host)"

VMware Workstation:

1. Boot the VM

2. Go to "VM" found at the top of the window

3. Browse to "Removable Devices"

4. Find and select your flash drive

5. Click "Connect (Disconnect from host)"

Can't you just use the free, open source, cross platform, and just plain awesome Virtualbox?

Not sure if anyone answered this question, I didn't read through so sorry if I am creating an echo here.

You cannot use VirtualBox because Sun's Virtual Box does not support booting from USB. I tried a few work arounds mounting it as a floppy and still got nothing. I looked into it and Sun doesn't plan on adding the support because there is not large benefit from the time it would take to implement it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I boot from usb in VirtualBox it's go like this:

my usb is format as one partition fat32.

i got grub2 on it

pendrive is sdb

1. unmount pendrive

sudo umount /dev/sdb1

2.Changed permissions

sudo chmod 777 /dev/sdb1
sudo chmod 777 /dev/sdb

3. Created rawdisk:

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/mnt/new_usb.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdb -register

4. Set permissions for new_usb.vmdk

sudo chmod 777 /dem/mnt/new_usb.vmdk

and now when I mount in VirtualBox new_usbvmdk as disk, umount pendrive in USB section

And it works :]

I use VirtualBox PUEL but I think that normal VirtualBox shuld work.

For use just make changes in grub.cfg, copy iso to pendrive. unmount run VirtualBox and test :)

Actually I boot from usb in VirtualBox it's go like this:

I've hardly messed with VirtualBox, and it was only on a Windows machine, but it seems like you're just making an image of your flash drive and booting from that, or am I wrong?

I've hardly messed with VirtualBox, and it was only on a Windows machine, but it seems like you're just making an image of your flash drive and booting from that, or am I wrong?

I don't make any image. This is the Linux way. When you plug pendrive into linux machine it shows as /dev/sdx

(where 'x' is {a,b,...}) so I actually mount device not an image. What I'm doing is just make any one (in this VirtualBox) can write and read from it and generate vmdk file for it (It's little file some KB, where my pendrive is 8GB). Anyway, I do it just once. As long as my pendrive is showing in my system as /dev/sdb I don't have to generate new vmdk file. Just make changes on pendrive and run VirtualBox.

One thing when I make changes ofcourse I have to mount somewhere my device(or hal do it for me),but when I want to boot form it in Virtualbox I have to unmount it. And that's it.

I hope now it's more clear and sorry for my English it's not my native language

I don't make any image. This is the Linux way. When you plug pendrive into linux machine it shows as /dev/sdx

(where 'x' is {a,b,...}) so I actually mount device not an image. What I'm doing is just make any one (in this VirtualBox) can write and read from it and generate vmdk file for it (It's little file some KB, where my pendrive is 8GB). Anyway, I do it just once. As long as my pendrive is showing in my system as /dev/sdb I don't have to generate new vmdk file. Just make changes on pendrive and run VirtualBox.

One thing when I make changes ofcourse I have to mount somewhere my device(or hal do it for me),but when I want to boot form it in Virtualbox I have to unmount it. And that's it.

I hope now it's more clear and sorry for my English it's not my native language

Yeah, I know how Linux mounts drives. I just thought that with the command "-rawdisk /dev/sdb" mad a rawdisk image of the drive as ~/mnt/new_usb.vmdk. That's cool though. If you've tried my VM, does your solution with VirtualBox run faster than mine with VMware?

Your English is pretty good for it being a foreign language, by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

This is how I did it in VitualBox under Windows:

Go to the VirtualBox directory under c:\Program Files\Sun and run:

VBoxManage.exe internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename \usb.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1 -register

This creates a virtual rawdisk pointing to PhysicalDrive1 on your Windows machine (hopefully your USB drive), check the position of your drive (the number) in Windows Disk Management. The option "-register" adds the newly created drive (usb.vmdk) as a drive option available to any machine in VB.

Have Fun!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...