Test your Multipass in a Virtual Machine!

H@L0_F00

I've rezipped and reuploaded the USB-TestVM due to a couple people having problems with it. I've also add the BIOS file because I accidentally left it out last time and discovered that if you installed an OS it would try to boot the HDD first. The link is to the new VM, the old ones have been deleted. The Virustotal scan is also for the new VM.

What it contains:

USB-TestVM (dir)

--plpbt.iso--PLoP Bootmanager which allows you to boot a flash drive from a VM

--USB-TestVM.vmx--VM configuration file

--USB-TestVM.vmxf--VM team member file

--USB-TestVM.vmdk--VM disk file (8GB)

--USB-TestVM.nvram--VM BIOS file

There is NO operating system on the VM disk file.

Created using VMware Workstation 6.5. It runs without a hitch in VMware Player, so you don't have to buy/pirate anything, just download Player and load the .vmx file.

The VM is set to autoconnect all mass storage USB drives, and the BIOS are set to boot from the PLoP ISO.

Instructions:

Extract the zip file

Power-on the VM using the .vmx file

You'll be greeted by the PLoP Bootmanager

Wait until you see that your USB drive is connected (bottom right, suitcase-looking thing should be solid, not transparent)

Go down to the "USB" option and press "Enter"

There you go, test your flash drive

You can still install an OS, such as Windows XP to test Kon-Boot or Ophcrack, but including that would be illegal warez so do it yourself, k? k.

USB-TestVM -> http://www.mediafire.com/?oydn0xngdlz

VMware Player -> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

VMware Player (DDL) -> http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmpla....5.3-185404.exe

PLoP Bootmanager -> http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

And for everybody who cares,

Virustotal -> http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/294dcd3...4fdf-1251343898

If the file is removed due to not enough constant downloads, PM me and I'll get it back up. I'd appreciate feedback if you could, thanks.

EDIT: 8/29 - Added VMware 2.5 Player direct download link, thanks to nicatronTg.

Can't you just use the free, open source, cross platform, and just plain awesome Virtualbox?

You're welcome... I'm glad you like it...

And BTW, VMWare player is free, open source, cross-platform, and awesome.

I was already attempting to make one with VirtualBox... Not sure if I will now though because you're so grateful of my work

Hi !

Any Idea why its not running on my MAC with VMWare-Fusion ? Should it work ?

I see the boot menu, but when I choose USB, some dots appear and thats it.

I looking desperatly for a way to test my USB-Sticks, and so far I havent gotten very far..

One idea I had was to install the VMwareplayer INSIDE my XP which runs INSIDE VMWARE-Fusion..

Just to try out this method..can this work ? any experiences ? Thanks !

Hi !

Any Idea why its not running on my MAC with VMWare-Fusion ? Should it work ?

I see the boot menu, but when I choose USB, some dots appear and thats it.

I looking desperatly for a way to test my USB-Sticks, and so far I havent gotten very far..

One idea I had was to install the VMwareplayer INSIDE my XP which runs INSIDE VMWARE-Fusion..

Just to try out this method..can this work ? any experiences ? Thanks !

It's not possible to install VMware inside another VM. It sounds like Fusion recognizes some configuration options differently than Workstation and Player for Windows, like how flash drives are auto-connected. Try to connect the flash drive manually, although I'm not sure how to do this in Fusion.

It's not possible to install VMware inside another VM. It sounds like Fusion recognizes some configuration options differently than Workstation and Player for Windows, like how flash drives are auto-connected. Try to connect the flash drive manually, although I'm not sure how to do this in Fusion.

I had the same problem with VMWare Fusion on the Mac. I figured out a solution.

Make sure that your settings are set to auto connect USB devices. Physically remove the drive from your mac. Start the virtual machine. Select USB, then immediately after, plug your USB drive back in to the computer. An error should come up. Hit enter to return to the menu. Select USB again, and this time, it should boot into GRUB. It's worked for me.

Wow !! Thanks so much ...you have no Idea how frustrating it is to always go to your neighbours house to test it :)....Now the cream would be to include XP somehow, so I can try out kon-boot and ophrack...but I guess thats hardly possible, right ?

NP. Now I'm just looking for an explanation as to why the drive has to be physically removed from the computer rather just disconnected and reconnected within VMware. It shocks me that they don't have USB booting within their BIOS natively since it is a virtual machine. The neighbor's 5 year old Dell supported USB booting, I don't see why they can't too.

It wouldn't be warez AFAIK (IANAL) if you sysprepped it so it didn't have a product key.

PLoP in the VM wont boot my USB. My BIOS will boot my USB. I have no clue what is wrong, it works on my brother's USB.

Have fun using that defense against Microsoft! They don't allow you to download Windows XP without out buying it, do they? So why would this not be illegal? Downloading something you're supposed to buy is illegal, even if the key isn't provided.

And, I thought you figured out why it wasn't booting? Try connecting it manually

awesome work. I just have one question. it worked for me for a couple of boots but now it's not finding my drive. It's saying no boot devices found. I apologize if this an obvious question but it's 3:00am and my red bull is wearing off.

thanks

edit: tried it on a windows laptop (i do all my work on a mac with W7) I guess there's a problem with the VM because my Multipass is working. I'll look into it more tomorrow.