[Guide] Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop from ISO

Netshroud

Yup, I followed this entire guide to a key and watched the hak5 ep. Still getting the same error no matter what I do no matter what I use

I always get this garbage

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: no such file or directory

hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate usb device on port 5 loading please wait...

busybox v1.10.2 (ubuntu 1:1.10.2-2ubuntu7) built in shell (ash)

Enter help for a list of built-in commands

I get the same problem no matter what ISO I use (I've used 3 different ISOs of 9.04, including one that I downloaded straight from their site after suspecting the others of being suspect).

Temporarily loads the Ubuntu loading screen and goes straight into this every time.

2ugcfwp.jpg

The ISO is contiguous.

title Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop x86

map /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

Also wanted to add that we appreciate the efforts of the more knowledgeable members around here. I realize that this is likely tedious but it would seem that most of us just aren't familiar with GRUB and Linux arguments.

I get the same problem no matter what ISO I use (I've used 3 different ISOs of 9.04, including one that I downloaded straight from their site after suspecting the others of being suspect).

Temporarily loads the Ubuntu loading screen and goes straight into this every time.

2ugcfwp.jpg

The ISO is contiguous.

title Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop x86

map /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

Also wanted to add that we appreciate the efforts of the more knowledgeable members around here. I realize that this is likely tedious but it would seem that most of us just aren't familiar with GRUB and Linux arguments.

Yup, busy box and all. I even followed this tutorial that should DEFINITELY-ALWAYS WORK. It doesn't

I should mention that I'm using a SD card into a sd adapter. I don't own any flash drives. I just want to make good with what I have. What are you using WickedAngel? And what version are you using? 64 or 32 bit based?

If I remember correctly, Mint is derived from Ubuntu. Does it work without persistence?

Sorry for late response.

Mint7 works fine mate i got no issues booting the ISO but having Casper folder on root. I managed to Make persistant but that was with ISO extracted out. I cant get it Running persistant when booting from ISO

title Linux Mint 7
find --set-root /Images/LinuxMint-7.iso
map /Images/LinuxMint-7.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/Images/LinuxMint-7.iso
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
boot

Works on MOST laptops i use, occasionally get Busybox like above. All depends what machine, if i get busyboox i just bang my disk in.

Yup, busy box and all. I even followed this tutorial that should DEFINITELY-ALWAYS WORK. It doesn't

I should mention that I'm using a SD card into a sd adapter. I don't own any flash drives. I just want to make good with what I have. What are you using WickedAngel? And what version are you using? 64 or 32 bit based?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 (32-bit) on an external Western Digital HDD formatted to fat32.

Copy Contig.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32\

Go to Start and then Run...

Type in "cmd"

In the black box, type "X:" where 'X' is your flash drives drive letter in windows explorer

Type "contig -s" and wait for it to complete.

It may take a while depending on how many files, how big they are, how fragmented they are, your USB's transfer rate, and the performance of your computer in general. Don't unplug your drive while it's still running.

ok well I got that all working good but it loads up to ubuntu boot screen and moving bar and dont go past it, why dosn't it continue booting and how do I fix it?

This is without quiet splash in the kernel line.

168zhhx.jpg

This problem is actually exactly the same as the one I'm having with the BT4 Pre-Final, which is being booted directly from the boot files instead of the iso.

2it6lb8.jpg

title Back | Track 4 Pre-Final

kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317

initrd /bootbt4/initrd.gz

Is your "casper" folder on the root of your drive? Without modifying scripts in the inird the folder "casper" must be on the root of your drive, otherwise you'll get dropped to the BusyBox shell. I'm going to work on modifying the initrd files/scripts and I'll post a guide of doing it after I post the guide to editing the Ophcrack scripts in order to make it search for the tables in a different area.