linux router/firewall

uberprinnyakatux

Ok, the back story. Currently I own a NetGear FVS318 Router, it has quite a few features and I like the 8 ports however it is slow. I have a 15mb down and a 1.5mb up connection currently I see speeds of <5mb/s down and don't even ask about up. I have turned off logging and that seemed to help some, kinda.

Now heres the question, what is a good firewall/router distro of linux. I am used to debian esk distro's and I would like your opinion on this matter. I pulled up a list on wikipedia, and have looked into engarde a little, and theres quite a few more, just don't know how to hack away at it.

The hardware:

Via c7d 1.5(?)

1gb ddr2

10/100/1000 onboard nic

10/100 via pci (also has a pci_e x16 :P)

Thank you in advanced.

Ok, the back story. Currently I own a NetGear FVS318 Router, it has quite a few features and I like the 8 ports however it is slow. I have a 15mb down and a 1.5mb up connection currently I see speeds of <5mb/s down and don't even ask about up. I have turned off logging and that seemed to help some, kinda.

Now heres the question, what is a good firewall/router distro of linux. I am used to debian esk distro's and I would like your opinion on this matter. I pulled up a list on wikipedia, and have looked into engarde a little, and theres quite a few more, just don't know how to hack away at it.

The hardware:

Via c7d 1.5(?)

1gb ddr2

10/100/1000 onboard nic

10/100 via pci (also has a pci_e x16 :P)

Thank you in advanced.

Clark Connect COmmunity is great. put i currently use pfSense. both work great. CC has a lot of add ons and it's deb based so a lot of deb stuff will work pfSense is Unix based and has it's own add ons but in my experience not as many, also CC is very straight forward and easy to use pf has a lot of the same features but it's kind of like cisco in that pretty much everything is turned off unless you configure it to do otherwise.

I've ran pfsense, Untangle, smoothwall and now i'm running Mikrotik Router OS (cause we use it where I work). I probably liked pfsense the most, but smoothwall is pretty easy to get up and running. Untangle is awesome, but you need a somewhat beefy box, just because it requires a little bit more than anything else out. RouterOS is nice, because you use a windows utility to configure it and its pretty hacker proof (most of em are though).

Thank You,

So Im going to start with pfsense, since it seems to be perfect for my setup. Live CD option, and I have a cf card that I will use (with the help of an ata -> cf adapter) as the storage, should be pretty slick. Also will check into moonwall, which pfsense is a fork of.

I looked at Untangle, which 3tek said and yes beefy hardware all the way, even has a note at the bottom "VIA and Intel Atom CPUs have high clock rates, but sometimes do not have sufficient horsepower". I lol'd at that, so rules out the hardware id like to use for this.

Also I'm looking at the Sizing Guides, since I have a web server will I have to guestimate how many people will be connecting from the out side? Or, is it more for connections from the inside out.