Alternative to VPN at home ?

mshenoy

I have been reading about setting up OPEN VPN on UBUNTU 8.10 so that I could login to my VPN from my windows PC when I am away from home.

I have come to find out that the upload speed will be affected ultimately slowing my Internet connection at home as the VPN traffic will upload all the traffic to my PC when I login. So is there any better suggestions or alternatives to doing this ?

All I am trying to achieve is secure browsing when I am away from home. Let me know if you HAK5ers use such a connection.

I have been reading about setting up OPEN VPN on UBUNTU 8.10 so that I could login to my VPN from my windows PC when I am away from home.

I have come to find out that the upload speed will be affected ultimately slowing my Internet connection at home as the VPN traffic will upload all the traffic to my PC when I login. So is there any better suggestions or alternatives to doing this ?

All I am trying to achieve is secure browsing when I am away from home. Let me know if you HAK5ers use such a connection.

on home server or virtual server

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

on ur ubuntu laptop

sudo apt-get install openssh-client

http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/12/08/ssh-tu...ecure-browsing/

http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/weblogs/azul...efox-ssh-tunnel

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/manage-ssh-tunne...el-manager.html

get connection going and set firefox to use tunnel

Set it up as a split tunnel. That way all your internet traffic will go out your normal network connection and only your local network traffic will go over the tunnel.

Set it up as a split tunnel. That way all your internet traffic will go out your normal network connection and only your local network traffic will go over the tunnel.

A split tunnel will give you no more security while browsing (this was the goal of the poster).

The VPN compromise is this, all your traffic will route someplace trusted and completely encrypted... however ALL your traffic will route someplace trusted and completely encrypted. There is no alternative to this, this is how VPNs work by design.

Use TOR or proxy servers for anonymous browsing, don't confuse anonymous with secure.

A split tunnel will give you no more security while browsing (this was the goal of the poster).

The VPN compromise is this, all your traffic will route someplace trusted and completely encrypted... however ALL your traffic will route someplace trusted and completely encrypted. There is no alternative to this, this is how VPNs work by design.

Use TOR or proxy servers for anonymous browsing, don't confuse anonymous with secure.

Ahh, missed that part. If it's security he wants TOR isn't a good alternative either. VPN is the way to go, he'll just have to deal with the slow down. On my connection I've not notice that bad of a bandwidth hit, I wouldn't game over it though.