Looking for talented Web Developers

Hey all,

My partner and I are getting a group together for a large project we're planning to launch in the next few months.

If anyone is interested in more details, please get in touch with me, you can message me on here, e-mail (briansierakowski@gmail.com) or of course, the twitter (@bsierakowski).

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

What kind of web work are we talking about? Is there pay involved?

Digip, pm me some contact info, I'll get in touch with you with some specifics to see if you're still interested.

Thanks!

-B

He might just be trying to get you to improve you post, serious people won't look twice at your post because of lack of information, they aren't going to wait around for more information, they want it now so they can approach you for more information being actually serious about wanting to get involved.

Personally I see this kinda of post daily and when they are posted like this, 99.9% of the time they go absolutely no where. If you want decent applicants, then write a decent post. You don't even mention what you are developing!

He might just be trying to get you to improve you post, serious people won't look twice at your post because of lack of information, they aren't going to wait around for more information, they want it now so they can approach you for more information being actually serious about wanting to get involved.

Personally I see this kinda of post daily and when they are posted like this, 99.9% of the time they go absolutely no where. If you want decent applicants, then write a decent post. You don't even mention what you are developing!

He obviously is trying to keep this secret. Maybe it is some world shaking project that he doesn't want stolen. I have to agree that more information should be in the post, even if it were general information about the project.

Hey, you guys are absolutely right, my sparse posts was partially from inexperience, and partially from laziness. I suppose I thought that since this was somewhat of a unique project, that it would be easier to discuss it with interested individuals on a one to one basis.... but as you guys have noticed, it's a bit difficult to get too excited without more information.

As for Hac-Dan's comment, I definitely don't want to go blabbing our "secret sauce" around, but I didn't want to go into that too much... Not that I don't think our team and our idea are great, I do, but it seems a bit cliche to come in and talk about our top secret world shattering billion dollar idea.

This is a bit of a large project, so my partner and I are trying to distill all of our concepts down into something digestible. When we have that, if there is still any interest, I'll put that up for people to further peruse. We have a really amazing board of advisers forming, so we'll likely also bounce it off them to make sure that we can appropriately disperse this information to get the right people involved.

For compensation, we would not be able to pay up front, we need to get funding before we can start handing out the checks, and we need a beta before we can get funding... I'm sure most everyone here is familiar with that whole cycle. My idea was to log time for our team while we're building the beta, and then when we have it together and get funding, we'll establish rates to pay our team for the future, and reimburse for back time. Depending on how things work out, we may start with a few programmers to get it build, and then scale back after its up and working... or vice versa. Ultimately, we will make sure that anyone who helps in the process is taken care of financially.

Also what pushes back my ability to be too specific is the fact that we're forming our design team right now. We want to have the website 100% designed before we write any code, at that point it will be very easy to see what buttons are supposed to do what. Also, we kinda feel like a lot of these websites are done with the code first, so the front end website for the end users winds up being clunky or hard to use.

So, it looks like I've gone from too short a post to too long of one... and somehow have managed to leave out most of the important information :D. Still, if anyone wants to put their name in the hat please let me know, and I'll post more info when I have it.

Thanks,

-B

You might want to offer equity in the company as compensation for initial services, you just have to be careful to specify the amount of time spent before receiving the equity and also how long they must hold the equity for. This means that anybody coming on board would be in it for the long run and have a vested interest in the company succeeding. However getting that all right is very difficult.

It sounds like your going to want to be bringing more than just a developer on board, almost CTO level, with obviously practical skills as little of the initial work will be management. So you'll need someone with a good range of skills and be able to think outside the box.

Startups are great fun but a lot of work, all the best with yours. If you don't know about it already, check out "This week in start ups" by Jason Calcanis, you'll definitely find useful information from it even if its not your first start up.

Awesome, again, thanks so much for all the great info.

Agreed with the CTO idea. I think what we'll really need to bring on is a lead programmer, someone that can take our concepts, write the code that they can, and delegate and manage the production of code from the other members. My partner and I both have technical and management backgrounds, so between the two of us we should be able to handle most of the big-medium picture tasks.

And the company equity was an idea we are considering too. I'm unsure if outright payment or equity is more attractive, either way the company will have to succeed in order for the team member to get their payday, but cash seems like it would come quicker, allowing someone to have a middle level involvement (as opposed to the long term involvement would take).

All of our advisory board members have at least two contacts with venture capital organizations, so if we can get a nice beta knocked out, it will not be such a stretch to get everyone paid when funding comes in.

And, all of our advisers have volunteered to help 100% free, not asking for any sort of equity since they believe in the project. This sort of creates an awkward feeling for me, as the people who are in this field at the highest level are not receiving any compensation for their time.

Anyway, again, thanks for all the great info, when we finally have our designs done I'll be spreading more love, and then when we have a beta up I'll be very annoying :).

Thanks,

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...