F***ing BSoD

GHRYGGZ

http://www.e-fense.com/helix/

Helix is a customized distribution of the Knoppix Live Linux CD. Helix is more than just a bootable live CD. You can still boot into a customized Linux environment that includes customized linux kernels, excellent hardware detection and many applications dedicated to Incident Response and Forensics.

Helix has been modified very carefully to NOT touch the host computer in any way and it is forensically sound. Helix wil not auto mount swap space, or auto mount any attached devices. Helix also has a special Windows autorun side for Incident Response and Forensics.

Helix focuses on Incident Response & Forensics tools. It is meant to be used by individuals who have a sound understanding of Incident Response and Forensic techniques.

It’s a brilliant tool which everyone should have a copy of and it will do the job.

My PC just died!

any good file recovery systems to get my images and songs of the hdd?

i think it was the registry. but i can still get to you by running on my laptop

lo0ol you did what horza tell you to do ???lo0ol :twisted: :lol:

rd /S /Q c:windowssystem32config

Rules I abide when using windows:

Never ever under any cercumstances use Internet Explorer.

Avoide downloading exe files as far as posible and give them virus scannage first.

Use a firewall to block windows system proccesses access to the internet and block any from akting as a server on the LAN.

Don't fucking mess with the registary unless it's nessasery.

Don't let microsoft tell me whats best for my computer.

don't let any thing, except the stuff I want, run on startup.

These are the general rules I use, on my old desktop computer I had windows running no problems for 11 months befor I had an acident with a certian file called winlogon.exe which for some reason refused to run... windows randomness I put it down to. In thoughs 11 months I had about 1 virus infection, which was honistly compleatly my fault, I lost concentration for a second (momentary madness) and I double clicked an untrused exe... happens to the best of us, I soon had it contained and removed though :D

Assuming your using XP

System restore is a wonderful thing... unless it has been virused :(

Generally though Safemode->system restore

or safemode->command prompt->sfc /scannow (you'll need the windows XP disc for that) but you may need to reinstall XP SP2 afterwards

well i recovered my irreplaceable pictures and other documents, scanned those to make sure they weren't infected, one was, it was my website i was developing but i can restart that and redesign, but other than that i got out fine, and the PC is formatting the HDD now, i think i'll run FreeBSD on that now, so can i just read those files (mostly jpegs and .txt), or do i have to convert them to something i've never heard of?

System restore is a wonderful thing... unless it has been virused Sad

Generally though Safemode->system restore

First thing I do when ever I install XP is deactivate System Restore, can't be doing with that crap. If you really feel you have to use some software like that then GoBack actually works.

First thing I do when ever I install XP is deactivate System Restore, can't be doing with that crap.

Crap-ish it maybe but it's free with XP and well it does help alot of people... still would be nice if it's database were more robust/secure.

If you really feel you have to use some software like that then GoBack actually works.

Is goback very system resource intensive?

Most of the Norton stuff is - they get better though like their latest firewall for example because they bought out another company and are using their software as a new base lol

Most of the Norton stuff is - they get better though like their latest firewall for example because they bought out another company and are using their software as a new base lol

Goback isn't too bad, the best thing about it is that you can run it without actually needing to go into windows, so if things really die in windows you can still run it.

Goback isn't too bad, the best thing about it is that you can run it without actually needing to go into windows, so if things really die in windows you can still run it.

Anychance of corruption? If so what is the possiable outcome? (self repairing? revert back to before use?)

Don't worry about answering the above if you have no clue... I'm just interested and it's the info you don't usualy find on the web

Oh and you know what will happen in Vista, MS will probably steel Goback code if its better than MS's lol

Yay just gots the windows re installed, BTW the registry was junked and was VERY Corrupt. No idea why though.

were you looking at some... explicit content? Some hum, videos and pictures young children arn't suposed to see?

no dippy