Question ??

DABIGHURT

so i have this cisco router (1710) laying around and i know there is no point what so ever to use it since i have a cable modem that handles my static ips but i have a urge to set it up i know it will be a waste of time and the ectra ip address but just having it in my rack kinda sounds appeling to me... so what are your thoughts use it or lose it ?

so i have this cisco router (1710) laying around and i know there is no point what so ever to use it since i have a cable modem that handles my static ips but i have a urge to set it up i know it will be a waste of time and the ectra ip address but just having it in my rack kinda sounds appeling to me... so what are your thoughts use it or lose it ?

It takes IOS software, right? Maybe learn how to install it and make setup changes. I would just use it to practice cisco training(If its that type of router). Don't know anything about them, but maybe google for more info on them.

Doesn't this router have a built in VPN? Might be handy for that alone.

1710 is pretty limited as far as expandability goes. No slots for WIC cards or AIM cards. If you install SDM, even the most novice user can configure a cisco router. The 16mb flash might limit you on SDM. VPN capabilities are an IOS limitation, not a hardware limitation. This will do 3DES and IPSEC, no AES vpn options.

Otherwise, it's a good NAT router, if you need one of those. One port is 10meg only, so that's going to be your max throughput.

Current IOS upgrades go to 12.4 which is current.

IP/IPX/AT/IBM/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES

c1710-bk9no3r2sy-mz.124-23.bin

Release Date: 12/Nov/2008

Size: 13974.43 KB (14309808 bytes)

Minimum Memory: DRAM:96 MB Flash:16 MB

IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES

c1710-k9o3sy-mz.124-23.bin

Release Date: 12/Nov/2008

Size: 12643.02 KB (12946452 bytes)

Minimum Memory: DRAM:64 MB Flash:16 MB

Full SDM requires 7.63 MB free on the router, so that might be tight. The express version is only 2.43 MB and that one sucks.

If you get the 96mb of RAM and IOS upgrade it might make a nice little firewall for somebody. Any other question, let me know!