madwifi package for 8.09 rc2

Is there anyone out there running openwrt 8.09 RC2 who could help me with a little test?

I've got to build a karma patched madwifi package but before I do I want to check that my build of the normal madwifi drivers is ok. The file is at

http://digininja.org/files/kmod-madwifi_2....eros-1_mips.ipk

and should just install but you may need to force it as openwrt will complain that the package is already installed.

It shouldn't affect anything on the fon but I can't promise, the worst I can see it doing is corupting the madwifi drivers and so you need to re-install them from the package on the openwrt site. Make sure you have a good wired connection before trying this.

The reason I can't test this is my Fon+ has RC1 on it and another project I don't want to disturb.

Installed on my Fon+ today on 8.09 RC2 with only haserl-0.9.24-1_mips.ipk and webif_0.3-4700_mips.ipk installed. Oddly, not only disabled wifi, but killed lan connection (was unable to SSH back in). No serial connection to figure out what happened, and later restored it to the pre-install state.

Install command used was:

opkg install http://digininja.org/files/kmod-madwifi_2....eros-1_mips.ipk -force-reinstall

I'll reinstall again if there is a way to get useful information out of it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ye, it isn't patched. As I said in the post, I wanted to check that that package would install and work before going to the trouble of patching it. Messing around with cross compilers can be a pain so I'd rather take it step by step rather than go straight in and spend ages patching then find the compiler isn't working.

Now you've confirmed that the build worked I'll get on and patch the source then build a karma'ed version of the 8.09 drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let people know, I've given up on trying to get this to work. I've created the patch and the build works fine but when I load the modules I just get unresolved symbol errors. I've spent over 4 hours trying to get it to work but with no luck.

If anyone wants the patch to carry on working on it let me know and I'll pass it on.

Seeing as we are currently on 8.09 RC2 I'll come back to this when either RC3 or a full release comes out.

Unless anyone wants to sponsor me to get it working, for cash I'll quite happily spend hours trying to get it working :-)

Just to let people know, I've given up on trying to get this to work. I've created the patch and the build works fine but when I load the modules I just get unresolved symbol errors. I've spent over 4 hours trying to get it to work but with no luck.

If anyone wants the patch to carry on working on it let me know and I'll pass it on.

Seeing as we are currently on 8.09 RC2 I'll come back to this when either RC3 or a full release comes out.

Unless anyone wants to sponsor me to get it working, for cash I'll quite happily spend hours trying to get it working :-)

Have you thought about trying to build it for the FON2202 Caterpillar developers firmware?

There is a new version due out tomorrow - 2.2.4.0 aka Platero (2009-03-16).

I hadn't planned to build it on top of the Fon firmware just because I like to be able to start with a blank tested canvas. The Fon firmware will probably have a whole host of extra stuff installed that you wouldn't want on a security related device and it probably isn't getting as much security scrutiny as openwrt is getting.

There is a new version due out tomorrow - 2.2.4.0 aka Platero (2009-03-16).

I hadn't planned to build it on top of the Fon firmware just because I like to be able to start with a blank tested canvas. The Fon firmware will probably have a whole host of extra stuff installed that you wouldn't want on a security related device and it probably isn't getting as much security scrutiny as openwrt is getting.

It's not as bad as the Gargoyle firmware.