LAN over Wireless Access Point

hapster

Hi. I was wondering if this scenario is possible:

*I'm still a bit rusty when it comes to networking so bare with me if it's a stupid post...

What if you have a wireless router that can be converted to an access point. You associate the access point with a network encrypted with WEP or WPA or TheNextBigEncryptionForWifi. Then you plug-in an ethernet cable at the back of your router (that you set to act as an access point) and hook the other end to your laptop.

Will you be able to connect to the network the access point is associated to?

Most home wireless access points are a Router/dsl modem and wireless access point all in one, so you may not have to connect the access point into the router or modem per say. More details required post model numbers please.

But to answer your question yes you can have a completely wireless LAN network, sharing folders and internet connection. Generally speaking Router connected via ethernet to access point. then your laptop associates to the wireless AP and the router does its thing.

The only part you may cock up and run into problems is assigning IP numbers and the possibility of having your AP and Router set to defaults and both are utilizing DHCP. If you want to have IP addressing assigned for you, Disable DHCP in the router and leave it on the access point. If you are anal like me and like to know the IP of your computer just give each device and comp one manually in windows or if your AP permits reserve a IP address via MAC address .

Protip set IP addresses to router and access Point yourself, you will need to have these at a unchangeable address for future networking needs.

Rule of thumb First 2 numbers for networking device's rest for computers.

EXAMPLE:

192.168.0.1 Router, 192.168.0.2 AP, 192.168.0.3 laptop and so on for other comps.

subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Default gate way and DNS set to where ever your internet comes from (if its a router/modem it will be 192.168.0.1)

As for encryption WEP = was easily penetrated (can be cracked in 10 minutes) use WPA or preferably WPA2. Also don't forget to change the default AP and router login's.

Hope this helps

Most home wireless access points are a Router/dsl modem and wireless access point all in one, so you may not have to connect the access point into the router or modem per say. More details required post model numbers please.

But to answer your question yes you can have a completely wireless LAN network, sharing folders and internet connection. Generally speaking Router connected via ethernet to access point. then your laptop associates to the wireless AP and the router does its thing. The only part you may cock up and run into problems is assigning IP numbers and the possibility of having your AP and Router set to defaults and utilizing DHCP. If you want to have IP addressing assigned for you, Disable DHCP in the router and leave it on the access point. If you are anal like me and like to know the IP of your computer just give each device and comp one manually.

Thanks for your reply.

But what I meant was can I connect to the network from my laptop via ethernet by connecting it to the access point that is associated with the encrypted wireless network? Does it automatically bypass encryption since the wep/wpa/wpa2 encryption only encrypts packets for devices connecting to it wirelessly? I might have not understood your reply that much.:P

For an illustration (a rather messy one): For example, this is my home network setup:

Wireless router connected to modem. <-- another router turned to an access point connecting to the network <-- laptop connected to the said access point via ethernet

Hope it's clear.XD What are your thoughts on this?

lol your post is a little confusing to read but its more than likely just me and a lack of sleep.

Anyways if you are asking if your wireless AP has encryption and you try to connect to it via ethernet cable will it by pass the need for a WEP/WPA key, your answer is YES it does. The encryption only comes into play with wireless clients.

Sorry if I miss read your post, I thought it was a how to setup a network type question.... my bad.

lol your post is a little confusing to read but its more than likely just me and a lack of sleep.

Anyways if you are asking if your wireless AP has encryption and you try to connect to it via ethernet cable will it by pass the need for a WEP/WPA key, your answer is YES it does. The encryption only comes into play with wireless clients.

Sorry if I miss read your post, I thought it was a how to setup a network type question.... my bad.

LOL. Working too much? haha. joke.

Ok thanks.:D I will try it out soon in my home network.:D

Work?? Oi don't use such dirty four letter words. XD

lol No need to test it, I constantly swap between wifi and ethernet on my laptop all the time.

Get yourself Back track and a supported wifi card and do some REAL testing XD

No problems glad I could be of help mate.

Get yourself Back track and a supported wifi card and do some REAL testing XD

As tempting as it sounds, I'm more on developing my own tools. Even if people say it's like trying to reinvent the wheel, it's quite an adventure. haha. I'm working on packet sniffing, analysis and mitm stuff...all command line and in C/C++.:D I just need to get my concepts straight in terms of networking. I did try BackTrack. It's fun. But it's more fun to code and see your product work. haha.

Anyway, thanks again.:D Much appreciated.

What you are saying makes perfect sense. I am not much of a coder and personally don't enjoy it but I suspect that's largely due to the fact I suck balls at it. I just started doing VBS as part of my networking course for automation and it all goes w00sh over my head. XD

*I tip my hat to you* For having the patience to go to the effort of re-inventing the wheel, in the long run it will certainly pay off for ya.

What you are saying makes perfect sense. I am not much of a coder and personally don't enjoy it but I suspect that's largely due to the fact I suck balls at it. I just started doing VBS as part of my networking course for automation and it all goes w00sh over my head. XD

*I tip my hat to you* For having the patience to go to the effort of re-inventing the wheel, in the long run it will certainly pay off for ya.

haha. If you want an easy language and if you're into networking, definitely go for Perl. It has all the tools you need to administer your network and quite easy to read (you could learn Perl in a day). You could even build a packet sniffer with only a few lines of code!:D

Linux+Perl is a network admin's best friend and strongest weapon.XD

Thanks for your reply.

But what I meant was can I connect to the network from my laptop via ethernet by connecting it to the access point that is associated with the encrypted wireless network? Does it automatically bypass encryption since the wep/wpa/wpa2 encryption only encrypts packets for devices connecting to it wirelessly? I might have not understood your reply that much. :P

For an illustration (a rather messy one): For example, this is my home network setup:

Wireless router connected to modem. <-- another router turned to an access point connecting to the network <-- laptop connected to the said access point via ethernet

Hope it's clear.XD What are your thoughts on this?

ok so im thinking you might be a little confused on the whole router/wireless AP thing. any wireless router you buy today be it linksys, netgear, belkin, dlink etc will by default act as a wireless access point. it dosnt associate to another encrypted or unencrypted network.

now that being said it sounds like what you might be trying to do is use your wireless router as a wireless adapter to connect to an available wireless access point near you. usually the stock firmware on your router will not allow client mode so a quick firmware upgrade (assuming your wireless router is supported) to dd-wrt will solve that problem and enable things like client, client bridge, wireless repeater, etc and a whole shitload of other options you never knew your router could do.

ok so im thinking you might be a little confused on the whole router/wireless AP thing. any wireless router you buy today be it linksys, netgear, belkin, dlink etc will by default act as a wireless access point. it dosnt associate to another encrypted or unencrypted network.

now that being said it sounds like what you might be trying to do is use your wireless router as a wireless adapter to connect to an available wireless access point near you. usually the stock firmware on your router will not allow client mode so a quick firmware upgrade (assuming your wireless router is supported) to dd-wrt will solve that problem and enable things like client, client bridge, wireless repeater, etc and a whole shitload of other options you never knew your router could do.

Yep. That's what I'm trying to do. Thanks for making it clearer. Will look up on it. Any reference you would recommend in doing such a thing? Like controlling the router through the command line would be cool. haha. Never been a hardware guy. haha. Trying though.

Yep. That's what I'm trying to do. Thanks for making it clearer. Will look up on it. Any reference you would recommend in doing such a thing? Like controlling the router through the command line would be cool. haha. Never been a hardware guy. haha. Trying though.

when you change the firmware to dd-wrt youll see alot of new options that werent there before, such as, telnet, ssh, etc. dd-wrt has a manual so i would suggest you read it before you go changin things all willy nilly. but remember if you fuck something up theres always the reset button. the easiest way for you to manage your wireless router that youre using as a wireless adapter is going to be through the web interface. this is also a cheap way to add wireless to your xbox 360 too if you happen to have an extra router laying around.

AHHHhh so that's what you where asking, good thing Vector took over where I left off.

Before you start flashing firmware be sure to check it out on the DD-WRT site for compatibility last thing you need is a $50+ paper weight.

Client mode is most awesome I have a TP LINK configured in that manner and have it jacked into my hardware firewall then spat back out on a switch. Great thing with client mode is you can use all encryption methods. As far as I am aware using the Wireless distribution System (WDS) in point to point, multi point bridge and repeating only supports the use of WEP, please correct me if I am wrong. =)

Hapster thanks for the suggestion and yeah a few people have told me to start learning perl. MMMM maybe when I get some of these bullshit assignments out the way with.

AHHHhh so that's what you where asking, good thing Vector took over where I left off.

Before you start flashing firmware be sure to check it out on the DD-WRT site for compatibility last thing you need is a $50+ paper weight.

Client mode is most awesome I have a TP LINK configured in that manner and have it jacked into my hardware firewall then spat back out on a switch. Great thing with client mode is you can use all encryption methods. As far as I am aware using the Wireless distribution System (WDS) in point to point, multi point bridge and repeating only supports the use of WEP, please correct me if I am wrong. =)

yes be sure you check your hardware compatibility on the site first this is important, you likely wont brick your router, often times it will just fail to upgrade and tell you something like "upgrade are fail" but theres always a chance you could fuxor something. if youre not sure about it post your wireless router model and version number here and someone will help you out.

Yeap Vector is right on the money as always, there is a small chance you may brick it but DD-WRT has tools for un bricking some models. Anyways to save you unnecessary headaches and searching consult your Access Point model here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

My apologize to the OP for high jacking his topic but I have a quick question that doesn't deserve its own topic. I was wondering if the WEP cracking works on AD HOC computer to computer networks. I would test it but I am bored with the whole WEP bullshit thing and just wanted to know.

LOL@Vector Fux0r I love the sound of that, I am stealing it for future use. XD

Yeap Vector is right on the money as always, there is a small chance you may brick it but DD-WRT has tools for un bricking some models. Anyways to save you unnecessary headaches and searching consult your Access Point model here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

My apologize to the OP for high jacking his topic but I have a quick question that doesn't deserve its own topic. I was wondering if the WEP cracking works on AD HOC computer to computer networks. I would test it but I am bored with the whole WEP bullshit thing and just wanted to know.

LOL@Vector Fux0r I love the sound of that, I am stealing it for future use. XD

yeah you could crack ad hoc wep encryption as well but youre rarely going to come accross an ad hoc network worth cracking. alot of people that do use ad hoc connections regularly will likely put them in the a band on whatever channel for better throughput and connectivity, so if youre planning on doing some ad hoc pwnin it would help you to get at least an a/g/b wireless card but if youre gonna get a new card might as well get one that supports n as well.

and yeah use the fux0r all you want its yours lol.

Yeah I have only come across a small hand full of ad-hoc networks most of which I found while visiting friends.

My hardware for wifi isn't to shabby netgear wpn311, 500mw signal amp and 16 dbi omni antenna. I wanna invest in a 20+ something directional for funzies but need more money (I think a new laptop comes first).

Actually I was scanning networks the other day and I came across a very weak signal of a ad-hoc computer with no security with the SSID of Free Internetz. Was thinking noob with sniffer tools or some shit. It looks suspicious to me seeing as I am cynical of the human race and suspect the worst from most people. =P

Yeah I have only come across a small hand full of ad-hoc networks most of which I found while visiting friends.

My hardware for wifi isn't to shabby netgear wpn311, 500mw signal amp and 16 dbi omni antenna. I wanna invest in a 20+ something directional for funzies but need more money (I think a new laptop comes first).

Actually I was scanning networks the other day and I came across a very weak signal of a ad-hoc computer with no security with the SSID of Free Internetz. Was thinking noob with sniffer tools or some shit. It looks suspicious to me seeing as I am cynical of the human race and suspect the worst from most people. =P

you take your desktop with you everywhere you go?

lol take your desktop with you.

Yeah I have a my desk bolted down in the back of my yellow mini van with a two meter antenna on the roof with custom registration plates that read skiddy (needs more power extension cords) =P

Hence the I need a laptop in my previous post. XD Well I do have a asus eee 701 but that fisher price toy don't count.

lol take your desktop with you.

Yeah I have a my desk bolted down in the back of my yellow mini van with a two meter antenna on the roof with custom registration plates that read skiddy (needs more power extension cords) =P

Hence the I need a laptop in my previous post. XD Well I do have a asus eee 701 but that fisher price toy don't count.

no i was asking that because your wireless card is a pci card,

So let me get this straight. "Cleint mode" means using the wireless router as your wifi adapter? :D

Hapster thanks for the suggestion and yeah a few people have told me to start learning perl. MMMM maybe when I get some of these bullshit assignments out the way with.

Haha. I hear ya. I'm currently working on a system as part of my college course that involves inventory control and reporting stuff. BORING. It eats up my time to program stuff that I really want to. hehe

So let me get this straight. "Cleint mode" means using the wireless router as your wifi adapter?

Yeap wireless adaptor/wireless network card which ever way you wanna look at it.

EEP inventory control, still it would be better than doing ethics. My god did that shit piss me right off. Its common sense for crying out loud. Mr Makay from south park could have summed the 6 month module up in one sentence

HACKING IS BAD MMM KAY!

Yeap wireless adaptor/wireless network card which ever way you wanna look at it.

EEP inventory control, still it would be better than doing ethics. My god did that shit piss me right off. Its common sense for crying out loud. Mr Makay from south park could have summed the 6 month module up in one sentence

Come on. I was just making sure.XD Quite shallow to get pissed off on something like that.:| Patience...XD

HACKING IS BAD MMM KAY!

I don't consider it black hat hacking. Just exploring the possibilities.XD

lol well the main thing that pissed me off was the endless amounts of writing to pass the module. I can understand that these days most people lack common sense.

Well that's just it for me its more the learning factor, sometimes the best way to learn something is by breaking it then fixing it.