[URGENT] Help needed.

Apache

I'm working on a research project for University, finding the differences between working in IT here in the UK and over there in the US. We have to research the area of work we want to go into.

In my case this is Information Security, Computer Forensics and Systems Administration, I'm currently looking at following a friend into a career with the Ministry Of Defense as an Information Security Technician (read: Government Paid Greyhatter).

I have to write a report detailing the various differences including:

• What this job might involve for a new graduate.
  • The academic entry requirements for this career.
  • The skills and knowledge required to do this job.
  • The career prospects for a graduate entering this field.
  • How demand is going to change in the future for people in this career area.
  • A typical starting salary for this career.
  • Any other information you feel relevant.

I was wondering if you could give me any help with this in terms of a Sys Admin job in the United States. Mainly I need to know starting salaries, essential qualifications etc, the rest is just the filler information which will stay constant.

The DPA doesn't apply here. Starting Salaries and Essential Qualifications are public domain information. I'm not asking for specific protected information about people's own jobs, just about the sector in general.

At least I think that's what you were implying, your post was very vague.

I think you're not supposed to publicise your interest in working for such an agency, as a matter of security.

Why?

What security?

What are you talking about?

Anyway, this has got nothing to do with the MoD. It's a research project into IT jobs in America and the UK. Neither the project, not the information I'm requesting has anything to do with top secret government organisations, confidential information, nor any privacy invasion.

I thought this, being an American based IT forum would have been a good place to ask.

Its going to be a bit hard getting any information from here, and most of the sources cannot be verified(bad reference for a college level paper). What I would do is google IT Security in the US. Look at a few notable Security Professionals website and gather what you can. Go to FBI.gov, CIA.gov, ect and look at careers and see what that say, it is from the horses mouth.

I'm not really looking for government jobs, just IT jobs in general in the US. I'll wait for an actual American Systems Administrator to reply to this. All I want to know is the entry level qualifications and a starting salary. I'm really not asking for much. All I have to produce is a poster. lol

I'm not really looking for government jobs, just IT jobs in general in the US. I'll wait for an actual American Systems Administrator to reply to this. All I want to know is the entry level qualifications and a starting salary. I'm really not asking for much. All I have to produce is a poster. lol

AH, i think it was the mention of the UK advisor your using that threw me off.. Well if your looking for sysmins this is the place..

ok, I'll pose the question another way...

IT Security Professional

• Starting Salary: $90k
  • Entry Level Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Technical Field
  • Desired Qualifications: Cisco/Microsoft Certified Qualification

Computer Forensics Analyst

• Starting Salary: $40k

Senior Network Administrator

• Starting Salary: $100k
  • Desired Qualifications: Microsoft Certified Qualification

Does that sound right?

Just bumping the thread in reference to Post 10 regarding salaries in America. Are these at all accurate?

In America, salaries vary state by state, so what might be say $50,000 in one state might pay $30,000 in another. Also, the cost of living per state is also different, sales tax is higher in some states than others. Delaware for instance has no sales tax at all. So it varies, but if you go to something like salary.com you can probably look this up and then average them out. Just so you know, when you get the page with it asking for a personal report(pay for) in the top right, just click skip advertisement!! They do give quotes, but the ads seem misleading like they want you to joing or pay for somehtign and that is not needed to get a real quote.