linksys wireless-g range expander help

boardbreaker

I think we might need more details - like model.

Generally expanders are not all that exciting to work with.

Agreed. ive tried a couple of these linksys range expanders in the past. basically theyre worthless, and expensive for a worthless piece of hardware. your money would be much better spend on a signal booster for your AP and or your laptop as well as better antenna setup.

How are you wanting to make it better? If you want it to have increased range so you can reach further in one direction I would suggest building a biquad antenna and replace the factory one. I haven't been able to build and test one myself but I have read in several places that the biquad will give you up to 12db gain. With that kind of gain you should be able to blast a signal through some walls of your house that you can't currently. They are relatively easy to construct and would be a good make for a good rainy day project, the only potential downside that I can think of is the fact that it is unidirectional.

How are you wanting to make it better? If you want it to have increased range so you can reach further in one direction I would suggest building a biquad antenna and replace the factory one. I haven't been able to build and test one myself but I have read in several places that the biquad will give you up to 12db gain. With that kind of gain you should be able to blast a signal through some walls of your house that you can't currently. They are relatively easy to construct and would be a good make for a good rainy day project, the only potential downside that I can think of is the fact that it is unidirectional.

yeah antennas and signal boosters are teh way to go. and if you dont want to build one you can always get nice parabolic grids for like 40 bucks that will easily give you 24dbi or more gain from places like wlanparts.com i get a lot of shit from them.

ok i will check it out but is there anything i could do asides from boosting a single

if you have some compatible routers laying around check out dd-wrt.

I'll ask again what is it you are wanting to do? There's several things you can do to mod/hack it, anything from taking the guts out and putting them in a cool looking case to boosting signal range. In order for someone to help you it might be helpful to have an idea of what your thinking about doing with it. We don't know what you might be thinking so we can't give any real good advice to help with your issue.

its not an issue but is there a way of hacking it to allow it to receive internet packets or maybe something like the fon router

Now that we know what it is you're curious about there is sure to be someone who can help you. I personally cannot help because you're request is outside what little I know about modding, sorry.