Corrupted MBR?

H@L0_F00

I tried to format a partition of my HDD with Partition Magic in WinXP and it prompted saying i needed to reboot (of course). When i rebooted i got GRUB load error 17, which I've read is usually a partition recognition problem and everywhere I look they say to re-install GRUB but I booted BT3 from my flash drive and QTParted doesn't even recognize the Ubuntu ext3 partition that is causing the error :huh: but I can't find out how to re-install GRUB from Slax as I don't have my Ubuntu disk with me and wont for a while. Any help is appreciated!

I tried to format a partition of my HDD with Partition Magic in WinXP and it prompted saying i needed to reboot (of course). When i rebooted i got GRUB load error 17, which I've read is usually a partition recognition problem and everywhere I look they say to re-install GRUB but I booted BT3 from my flash drive and QTParted doesn't even recognize the Ubuntu ext3 partition that is causing the error :huh: but I can't find out how to re-install GRUB from Slax as I don't have my Ubuntu disk with me and wont for a while. Any help is appreciated!

Does fdisk see the partitions? If not you could give TestDisk a go.

yes fdisk recognized it. Something was wrong with the superblocks but I haven't red too much about stuff like that so I'm just going to reclone the drive it came from to save the hassle of trying to fix it and partition the extra space either from Linux or from another computer haha