Hacking Aero

jmaxxz

I have a program I wrote that randomly fades aero (vista) from one color to another. However I am calling a function in the dwapi that is not exported. Is there any programs out there that will help me re-find this function when MS updates this dll and thus changes the entry point of this function.

Or is there a better way to access the function, as I would like to make sure this program will work when win 7 arrives, or at least decrease the amount of time I will have to spend searching for the functions entry point, so I can more quickly handle any changes to the dll made by MS.

The function I am calling does not appear in the msdn description of the dll, or in dll export viewer ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dll_export_viewer.html ).

I know how to call functions by name, but this one i can not find by name and I am forced to call it by entry point. And this calling it by entry point makes me very vulnerable to changes in the dll.

The function I am calling does not appear in the msdn description of the dll, or in dll export viewer ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dll_export_viewer.html ).

I know how to call functions by name, but this one i can not find by name and I am forced to call it by entry point. And this calling it by entry point makes me very vulnerable to changes in the dll.

Tried a debugger on running system dll or exe files? Maybe explorer.exe calls it and you can see it in a debugger.

Tried a debugger on running system dll or exe files? Maybe explorer.exe calls it and you can see it in a debugger.

Yes, that is more or less how I got the function pointer in the first place. But because this DLL changes in win 7 i am trying to see if I can come up with a better way of doing this. But I am not sure if it is possible

Yes, that is more or less how I got the function pointer in the first place. But because this DLL changes in win 7 i am trying to see if I can come up with a better way of doing this. But I am not sure if it is possible

Maybe write your own DLL that has the functionality you need?

Maybe write your own DLL that has the functionality you need?

I am not skilled enough to do that, but thanks guys. I have come to the conclusion now that like you say if I want it to play nice I would have to write my own but since that is above my skill set I will just let it alone and keep hacking it with each new version of the dll.