difference between duo pro and intel atom??

Lance

The Atom is much simpler design, uses less power and does less. The Core2 architechture was designed for performance at the cost of power consumption, comlexity and heat produced. So the main difference is that you can build a smaller device using an Atom processor, for instance netbooks where the power consumption and package size are bigger issues than raw performance.

If portablity is not an issue or its your primary system, get a regular laptop. Netbooks are basically secondary devices, and I regard mine as a frivolity.

Unless you're programming for cell phones the netbook screen will drive you nuts. It's just a tiny bit too small for just a few things.

One significant bonus for the netbooks though is awesome battery life. You'll ever touch it with a full size unless you carry around a battery the same size as the laptop.

The netbooks are cute, but lack any real meat. Performing tasks such as DVD burning, programming and decompressing basic RAR files are made painstakingly slow by the Atom processor, when compared to for example a Pentium 4 or C2D which breeze through these simple tasks.

Moving onto stuff like image manipulation, audio & video editing etc.. forget it on an Atom.

Believe me when I say Atom = cool toy. But far from a really suitable laptop for an advanced user.

Unless you're programming for cell phones the netbook screen will drive you nuts. It's just a tiny bit too small for just a few things.

One significant bonus for the netbooks though is awesome battery life. You'll ever touch it with a full size unless you carry around a battery the same size as the laptop.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I love the idea, and the concept, but i am not sure if i would be able to work as productively on one of them as i do on my regular monitor. When you want to read an i.p. or a line of text and your nose has to be pressed against the screen... thats a no no. But battery life is a plus by ALL means. Right now i get 2.5 hours of charge from my lappy, but Curbob had this crazy extended battery on his Eee that gave him upwards of 5 hours? Sorry if i qouted it wrong.