How to connect to open remote ports?

Yatin Dabhi

Ostensibly, most open ports are services, so you should connect to the remote PC's open ports with the client that utilizes them. Port 21 is usually FTP. 22 is usually SSH. 80 is usually HTTP (web server) and so on and so forth. THIS may help you out.

You can try to use a command line tool to see if the port responds. I usually choose netcat (nc.exe on windows, nc on Linux/BSD/OS X).

In the case of both telnet and netcat, just use the following syntax:

telnet (or nc) hostname port

Here, I'll use nc to connect to the SSH port on my DMZ box:

chimaera:~ axon$ nc bouncer.labs.h-i-r.net 22

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1

Protocol mismatch.

Telnet is not only "noisier" (displaying a lot of extra stuff to you) but it doesn't always generate a clean TCP session that contains ONLY what you type. It tries to perform a telnet handshake, which can throw some results off. Regardless, this is the same thing done with telnet.

chimaera:~ axon$ telnet bouncer.labs.h-i-r.net 22

Trying 192.168.0.10...

Connected to bouncer.labs.h-i-r.net.

Escape character is '^]'.

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1

Protocol mismatch.

Connection closed by foreign host.

Hope this helps.

I want to know can we connect remote pc's open port.

What are the different ways . . and what is the command used in telnet to conect.

Besides the tools listed above, using a simple Python script (or any language that supports sockets), you can just create a socket and have it connect to the port on the remote machine.

... if you are able to telnet ie your in the remote box, how do you send and receive file's\folders with out installing any programs, using standard "xp" also note: they are on different networks

Could you please translate this into English?

I think you're asking for how to transfer files using Telnet. It's my understanding that it depends on the version of Telnet you're using. If it's simply text, just cat the file. If there's a lot of files, it'd probably be easier to just install FTP on the remote system or something.

Depending what port you connect to, you will have to specify the appropriate commands. For example, if you connect to port 80 of a web server you would type the following:

cmd > telnet www.google.com 80

cmd > GET /

press return, you will get the whole index page of Google.

I recommend you use Netcat as it works better.

The same is valid for other ports, just know what protocol you are using. Good Luck!

If there's a lot of files, it'd probably be easier to just install FTP on the remote system or something.

well............. if lets say i have two box's (newly installed operating system i.e XP no extra software nothing, but telnet services are enabled) i have physical to only one box, but throught it can access/ telnet the other box

how am i gonna install FTP on the remote box?

well............. if lets say i have two box's (newly installed operating system i.e XP no extra software nothing, but telnet services are enabled) i have physical to only one box, but throught it can access/ telnet the other box

how am i gonna install FTP on the remote box?

http://www.tburke.net/info/misc/vnc_remote.htm

Install VNC remotely then install a FTP service.

An SSH client won't connect to any open port and allow you to interact with it, telnet will.

Good point. That was supposed to in reply to the earlier post. I was thinking in a more narrow spectrum, as in remoting in to another computer. And in my opinion, SSH is a perfect utility for that.