Vpn

Hurtcake

Hi there, I've got a bit of a conundrum. Ive recently become very paranoid of the network I'm currently using at school, and want to VPN out. I'm sitting on a laptop(cable and wireless), and live on a student home near by with a computer which is almost always on. I've thought of making a VPN to that machine, but problem is the network that computer uses, is used by a lot of students, so its no better. And i have no rights to open ports or whats so ever.

I'm using Vista 64bit and Windows XP.

What can i do?

Any help is appreciated :)

VPN connections are usually encrypted.. (Well that's the point usually..)

Then you could SSH into the server/desktop and continue that way,

Not sure about Windows though but I'd tunnel a X server connection through the SSH connection once you VPN into the host.

Maybe next time you don't waste $300 on a Windows license and buy professional VPN software :P

Just my 8 cents.

Try downloading HotSpot Shield.

They are offering free VPN connections, just a small ad in your browser..

@hurtcake I want to make sure I follow this right - you trust an outside service for your web browsing more than you trust your university's network and you're OK with torrenting through their connection? You need to consider in addition to just them monitoring what you're doing that you're completely trusting the network on the other side with no knowledge of it - there could be rewriting of traffic or even logging of credentials / sessions.

Your university may have in their privacy policy stating they can monitor traffic, etc. I previously worked for a University as a Network and Security Engineer that had a policy that stated such and the extent of the monitoring was logging of the TCP/UDP/IP headers only (see http://qosient.com/argus/) just for verification of takedown notices (we never trusted them without investigating it on our end) - we could see who you're talking to and how much, but not what was transmitted (similar to call records).

Personally, I'd worry more about an untrusted network on the other side than my university's network. If you're really worried about them watching what you're doing, switch over to Tor (yes, it's slow as all heck) using Torbutton in Firefox for the time you need to use it.

Sorry for not explaining myself better.

Yes i was a bit hasty. Got it pointed out for me today that the outside service may not be trustworthy. Didn't think of that.

Let me try to explain again.

We study computer security, programming and so on, at my school. So there's alot of people who can easily sniff passwords among other things. Being a fan of Hak5, I know how easily this is, passwords are sent in clear text. This is why i want to secure my connection. It's not like I want to hide what I'm doing, and the school don't care about the torrents. I just want to be able to check my mail, login to sites, without worrying about my passwords being picked up by some dude in a corner.

So what you are trying to do here is..

Encrypt your web browser traffic to prevent people from sniffing your credentials.

But you don't want to encrypt or "hide" your torrent traffic.

So what you should be looking for is a Firefox add-on that scrambles the traffic.

That would be the ultimate solution for you.

Yes but the receiver of the data would need to de-encode the traffic,

Most sites offer SSL logins which are for the most part secure.

Sounds like you've got a few good solutions here.

Or you can simply just visit HTTPS websites.

HTTP Secure

:)

Yeh you got it gEEEk. Thats what im trying to do.

I'll search for some plugins for firefox (using Opera though, maybe i have to change, depends on what i find).

So i would really like a solution with a proxy, where i could just modify my browser to use it, not the whole connection.

Wouldnt this be possible?

screenshot from opera network settings

post-7711-1227391639_thumb.jpg

I tried setting up an ssh server at my comp, but it failed. Will try again soon though.

I was referring to the sites that have HTTPS enabled.

Such as Gmail. :angry:

So don't you dare failing me.