licensing

I've been thinking about putting one of the open source licenses on Jasager as the current version doesn't have any license attached to it but I know very little about the differences between GPL 2, 3, Creative Commons, apache, BSD etc.

Are there any license experts in the house?

Important features:

I want one that allows me to use other open source code released under different licenses without any problems.

I want the app open to the world but I don't want people making money out of selling it without my permission (read giving me/the community my/its cut).

The amount of attached files needed has to be minimal, e.g. if using GPL 3 means including a .5M file with the package then that is going to be an issue due to low disk space.

Can anyone suggest the best one to use and give a good reason for it.

This is going to be important as I've just taken a chunk of code released under GPL 2 to include in the port scanner and I don't want to mess things up by choosing the wrong license and so upsetting the guys who wrote the original code.

im not an expert but i believe that one of the creative commons variations does what you want. it requires that all original files you include must be included in any subsequent releases and any creation made from your code must be available under the same license as your own.

What a lot of licences! I knew about the basic GPL 2 and 3 and the few different versions of creative commons but the size of the list on the fsf site is huge.

I'll have a read through them and try to chose a good one, whatever happens though the code is free and will remain free.

I would look into GPL, GhostScript and the like use it and require companies(HP, DELL, ect) to release the modified source OR pay them to keep their secrets safe. Maybe even consider dual licensing your programs. Before you do anything contact a lawyer, EFF, and make certain that what your are doing is legal in YOUR COUNTRY. Remember the UK has some hash laws when it comes to "hacking" software.

Who uses GNU General Public License?

Wikipedia

GhostScript

Linux kerne

GNU Compiler Collection

Mozilla

From the GPL website:

Preamble

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.

Note how this is worded, you may charge for certain aspects of the software, i.e. commercial use.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

An interactive user interface displays “Appropriate Legal Notices” to the extent that it includes a convenient and prominently visible feature that (1) displays an appropriate copyright notice, and (2) tells the user that there is no warranty for the work (except to the extent that warranties are provided), that licensees may convey the work under this License, and how to view a copy of this License. If the interface presents a list of user commands or options, such as a menu, a prominent item in the list meets this criterion.

This may become a problem because of space requirement, maybe removing some of the comments in the code.

Take a look at gpl though and see if that floats your boat, still contact a patent or copywrite lawyer.

I would look into GPL, GhostScript and the like use it and require companies(HP, DELL, ect) to release the modified source OR pay them to keep their secrets safe. Maybe even consider dual licensing your programs. Before you do anything contact a lawyer, EFF, and make certain that what your are doing is legal in YOUR COUNTRY. Remember the UK has some hash laws when it comes to "hacking" software.

Who uses GNU General Public License?

Wikipedia

GhostScript

Linux kerne

GNU Compiler Collection

Mozilla

From the GPL website:

Preamble

Note how this is worded, you may charge for certain aspects of the software, i.e. commercial use.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

This may become a problem because of space requirement, maybe removing some of the comments in the code.

Take a look at gpl though and see if that floats your boat, still contact a patent or copywrite lawyer.

i dont think he is trying to license the entire project. just the main code required. which if he created it it wouldnt cause any problems with the aforementioned companies unless he used their products and code in his own. which is different than using the software with their stuff

i dont think he is trying to license the entire project. just the main code required. which if he created it it wouldnt cause any problems with the aforementioned companies unless he used their products and code in his own. which is different than using the software with their stuff

Yeah those were just companies that use the GPL license, as examples and to back its creditability.

Yeah those were just companies that use the GPL license, as examples and to back its creditability.

ah okay lol. makes sense