prog needs

RogueHart

i wanted to know if there was a program for something and was going to make a topic about it. but then i decided that would just spam the forums with a 2 post topic. instead i decided to make this. which i guess is basically the same thing but with a twist.

heres how this topic works. is there something you need a program for but dont know of any? post what you need here and let the community answer instead of having so many topics. do you want to know if a program exists or not? post here and find out. thats basically how this topic is supposed to work. ive seen it in old forums i was on and it did well but those forums are all dead lol.

ill start

1: is there a program to control the volume in ubuntu? i know the volume control it has but its either deafeningly loud or mute. there are 3 sliders on it. the master which makes it go from loud to quiet at about 4/5 max volume. then the rest of the slider is from quiet to mute. the other 2 sliders are doing something different from the first but are identical to each other. if i move them down at all its a drastic change in volume. if i barely move them 1/6 of the way down its muted. its driving me nuts and i wanna know if theres a program that can better handle it. windows has a nice system of 2 sliders. master and wav. i can usually set them both to about midway then i can control the master with the volume on my laptop and things are within a good volume range.

2: a vixy.net clone if there is one or a tutorial for clive(command line. sudo apt-get install clive) ubuntu

thats it for me for now. post away peeps. make sure you read the entire topic to find out whats been answered and what hasnt and see if you can may be answer some questions. post yours either way.

edit

before anyones an ass about this and calls me a noob. i know there are more sliders in both ubuntu and windows. im just referring to the ones that actually have an effect on my problem

dont you have a master on your system tray? i got the standard one and it works like a slider so you can control exactly how much of volume you want... mmm maybe your ubuntu different lol

the master like i said in the post gets mute before its halfway down. its not my speakers. im using skull crushers from skull candy and these are high quality and have worked well since i got them. what im saying is i need more control over the volume.

argh i dont know whats the problem then sorry i woulda loved to help

its no problem lol. thanks for trying :)

1: is there a program to control the volume in ubuntu? i know the volume control it has but its either deafeningly loud or mute. there are 3 sliders on it. the master which makes it go from loud to quiet at about 4/5 max volume. then the rest of the slider is from quiet to mute. the other 2 sliders are doing something different from the first but are identical to each other. if i move them down at all its a drastic change in volume. if i barely move them 1/6 of the way down its muted. its driving me nuts and i wanna know if theres a program that can better handle it. windows has a nice system of 2 sliders. master and wav. i can usually set them both to about midway then i can control the master with the volume on my laptop and things are within a good volume range.

To tell you the truth, I just use alsamixer from the command line myself, or you could give kmix a shot if you prefer gui-style.

To tell you the truth, I just use alsamixer from the command line myself, or you could give kmix a shot if you prefer gui-style.

thanks much. kmix is perfect. id normally take the command line tool over gui but i needed something i could adjust quickly and gui is needed for it.

thanks much. kmix is perfect. id normally take the command line tool over gui but i needed something i could adjust quickly and gui is needed for it.

No problem.

Pro Tip: If you keep a term or two open, you will find that typing alsam<tab> is quicker than finding the kmix icon in a menu.

No problem.

Pro Tip: If you keep a term or two open, you will find that typing alsam<tab> is quicker than finding the kmix icon in a menu.

kmix icon is right on the top of the screen in the notification bar. its easier than opening a term window and its about the same as switching to one - the typing.

though i always keep at least 1 term window open in another workspace. i use 5 or 6 workspaces at a time