To and another antenna or not

I opened up my FON the other day and noticed it had a solder point for another antenna. and I have another antenna sitting around from a bricked netgear mr814 bg router.

Is there any advantage to soldering in this 2nd antenna?

I don't know what the spec is for the second antenna port. I know that my Ubiquity PCMCIA card has two antenna ports but one is classed at the primary one and is higher power than the other. So, adding a better antenna should help but if you are adding it to a lower powered port then it may end up being the same as the installed one.

I don't know what the spec is for the second antenna port. I know that my Ubiquity PCMCIA card has two antenna ports but one is classed at the primary one and is higher power than the other. So, adding a better antenna should help but if you are adding it to a lower powered port then it may end up being the same as the installed one.

I would be keeping the orginal antenna where it is and just soldering my new one into the free slot. I was talking with one of my electrical engineering friends and he figures it can hurt. I also did some research into MIMO (mixed input mixed output) and it seems more antenna's are a good thing so I think I will give it a shot.

I put the extra antenna on today, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprise with how much it helped. I get 4-5 times the range. And my signal strength at point blank range has also seen a nice increase! Here are some pictures from my endeavor. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the soldering job.

post-11170-1225053275_thumb.jpg

post-11170-1225053285_thumb.jpg

post-11170-1225053293_thumb.jpg

post-11170-1225053301_thumb.jpg

post-11170-1225053313_thumb.jpg

post-11170-1225053338_thumb.jpg