How to send files across a network...

gEEEk

Hey guys.

Might be a "stupid question"..

But..

I've heared a lot of network admins and IT security experts say that if someone on your network has a trojan or a virus of some kind, you can potentially be in danger.

Let's say, I'm at Starbucks and hocked up to their network. Let's say I have a trojan of somekind on my machine, how does it infect the other computers without the owners acceptance? More in detail would be awesome :)

/gEEEk

Not a stupid question. If you have an infection there's a bunch of ways it could spread to other machines including open file shares, exploiting vulnerabilities in network services on those other machines, or I suppose even something like a MITM attack where images in the webpages people requested were replaced with infected images. Three different methods but all very real and possible threats. The end result, however, is a coffee shop full of infected machines (which could quite possibly infect other machines given that the user may visit more either the same or other coffee shops with other users).

Not a stupid question. If you have an infection there's a bunch of ways it could spread to other machines including open file shares, exploiting vulnerabilities in network services on those other machines, or I suppose even something like a MITM attack where images in the webpages people requested were replaced with infected images. Three different methods but all very real and possible threats. The end result, however, is a coffee shop full of infected machines (which could quite possibly infect other machines given that the user may visit more either the same or other coffee shops with other users).

Ways of transfering files without the owner knowledge..

One of these ways could be using Metasploit? Or something like if the target has a telnet server.. or MITM ofc, but what do you really mean by a infected images?

but what do you really mean by a infected images?

Havent you heard of gifar? just give it a little google youll find tons of info. Though this isnt a new concept but still dangerous. Theres even a video you may find to show how to make one but it leaves out critical info well for obvious reasons.

As for your topic, worms would be a perfect example of how peoples computers can get infected accross networks, and as Moonlit said about the users viewing dangerous sites.If it were possible you could use the coffee shops router and if you could enter it and redirect traffic to a page with say a trojan dropper then youd get a whole coffee shop of victims. well ok thats just theory i would never advise a person do that. We all hate malware, its not something you would want happen to you