New Case Mod

ForsetiAvatar

Are you going to cut it out or engrave it?

I am going to cut it out on waterjet machine, I still have some work to do on it, like the little pads inside the Logitech logo have to go. Either that or connect them to outside. Maybe I could glue them to the plexi backing?

If I were you I'd try to even out the design a little bit. It seems very lopsided to the right.

Well, there are handles and such on the panel. The border of the pic is not the entire side panel just the size of the plexiglass. For instance, this is a panel from an older case.... (which I actually cut upside-down)

159015863_dd2e84845a.jpg

Actually, now that I look at that, I may do something entirely different this time.

Wow! Is that cut out or have you just stuck paper stencils were you are going to cut that look the same colour of the wall behind?

Very Professional Anyways.

Thanks man. The metal of the case has actually been cut out. There is a plexiglass sheet riveted to the case panel (that is what the four corner holes in the first pic I posted are for). The wall behind is just there so everytihng would show up better in the pic. The actual case that this goes on has blacklights installed in it. Looks pretty sweet at night.

I work at a machinist, part of my job is to program the CNC equipment. This was done on waterjet machine, 50,000lbs of pressure in a 0.015" stream. Cuts through sheet metal like butter.

I work at a machinist, part of my job is to program the CNC equipment. This was done on waterjet machine, 50,000lbs of pressure in a 0.015" stream. Cuts through sheet metal like butter.

Nice! I have access to a CNC miller (but unfortunaly it won't even take Aluminium) and a Laser Cutter (which is brillant, for plastics.)

Have you seen http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=76374? That is one awesome project. I recommend anyone to spend about an hour (it will take you that long to go through the post) if you want to pick your Jaw up off the floor.

Nice! I have access to a CNC miller (but unfortunaly it won't even take Aluminium) and a Laser Cutter (which is brillant, for plastics.)

Have you seen http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=76374? That is one awesome project.

The laser cutter should do the job. Probably better as they are more efficient on thinner material than waterjets.

That is a killer project. We have a CNC mill, but not a CNC lathe. :(

And since I am an engineer and not a machinist, it takes a while for me to run a manual lathe. :oops:

I had not thought of making a whole case, I was pondering making some nice motorcycle rims tho.

That looks cool I have access to CNC drills for making prototype PCB’s and high power laser cutters, but everything is exactly calibrated and we have people that are trained to use that equipment and handle all the chemicals so if I need something made I can send the drawings to them, but I’m not allowed to use any of the equipment myself as I'm not insured or trained to use them, which is a big thing when the equipment is worth millions of pounds.

What did you use AutoCAD, SolidWorks?

What did you use AutoCAD, SolidWorks?

I use Mechanical Desktop mostly, Inventor rarely and AutoCAD for simple stuff. I have been meaning to take a look at SolidWorks, seems like a lot of ppl are using that package and I am curious about it.

Yeah, SolidWorks is the number one mainstream 3D design software in the world anyway that’s what it says when you use SolidWorks 2006.

Wow, I thought AutoCAD was industry standard nowadays. I use Rhino3D for all my CAD work. (and its is pretty horrible to use, although i can get it to work.)

Wow, I thought AutoCAD was industry standard nowadays. I use Rhino3D for all my CAD work. (and its is pretty horrible to use, although i can get it to work.)

AutoCAD is still #1 for 2D drafting, but for parametric modeling, I have noticed that most people use SolidWorks.