Packet Capture on WindowsXP SP2

m0u53

ive been kind of intersted in Using "raw" sockets as theyre called

so i went googleing and many people are saying its not possible to capture or send packets in "raw" mode

and others say it is

ive run across some sites that provide source and others that say you should use..Winpcap

now i havent tried Winpcap yet but i dont think my card is supported its a Atheros so not sure

my question is this...is it possible on SP2 or SP3?

ive been kind of intersted in Using "raw" sockets as theyre called

so i went googleing and many people are saying its not possible to capture or send packets in "raw" mode

and others say it is

ive run across some sites that provide source and others that say you should use..Winpcap

now i havent tried Winpcap yet but i dont think my card is supported its a Atheros so not sure

my question is this...is it possible on SP2 or SP3?

Wireshark

commview for wifi for all your windows wifi cracking needs. nothing ive used yet even comes close.

commview looks like it supports a limited # of wireless cards. Not sure how that works. http://www.tamos.com/products/commwifi/adapterlist.php

It also looks like it is a pay for program, whereas Wireshark is free and works with any wireless card(That I have ever seen). Wireshark doesn't "crack" anything, but if your doing a MITM then you can see ALL traffic on the conenction.

commview looks like it supports a limited # of wireless cards. Not sure how that works. http://www.tamos.com/products/commwifi/adapterlist.php

It also looks like it is a pay for program, whereas Wireshark is free and works with any wireless card(That I have ever seen). Wireshark doesn't "crack" anything, but if your doing a MITM then you can see ALL traffic on the conenction.

yes it is technically a pay for program, it shouldnt be too hard to find a fully working version. also the list of adapters is actually pretty long, the OP said that he was using an atheros chipset wireless card. commview for wifi has driver support for pretty much any recent atheros chipset 5001-5008 so that should pretty much have it covered. also supports many new a/b/g/n cards super G mode, turbo A mode, packet injection (assuming your card is supported) and tons of other options that you just wont find in programs like wireshark.

• 3 weeks later...