Video Formats and Sizes

Typhon66

Ok, so i have 2 video files. And they both are like this.

File A:

Is Pretty High quality

Is same length as File B

Has 2 Audio Tracks

Has 1 Subtitle Track

is a ".ogg" file

About 120 Mb in size

_____

File B:

Is About the same quality as File A

Is the Same length of File A

Has 1 Audio Track

Has 1 Subtitle Track

is a ".mkv" file

About 320 Mb in size.

Now, this is just an example, but sometimes those differences switch places between the 2 formats for different video files i have.

My question is.

How do i get files to be more like File A is, im trying to put these things on Cds and the smaller size would help out greatly. The only problem is, everything i have tried to lower the size, greatly reduces the quality of the video. But File A is the right size, but maintains a very watchable quality. Almost as good as DvD quality.

If anyone could help me out, or at least point me in the right direction so i can use my friend google, i would greatly appreciate it.

-Thanks.

If anyone could help me out, or at least point me in the right direction so i can use my friend google, i would greatly appreciate it.

Different compression formats and container formats make all the difference. Like XVID vs Uncompressed video, depending on the bitrate of compression used, as well as the colorspace(16 and 24 bit normally for uncompressed video, as where 12 bit usually coincides with XVID videos), frame rate, dimension size and what codec you use. Ogg is a really nice container for videos and music files and is like the 7zip of container formats. It can compress a file really small while not scaraficing quality, as where formats like mkv is not as tight as Ogg. XVID and Divx are codecs that compress files in their original format, like an uncompressed avi > xvid avi file, and depending on the settings used, file size and quality will vary. If you want a small package with high quality format, I would use xvid and ogg encoding formats for making them smaller while not sacraficing quality. H.264 is nice too, but most encoders out there are strictly quicktime formats. Mpeg-2 encoders will give you that high quality DVD look, but the files will be much larger.

Check out http://www.doom9.org/ for more info on formats, compression ratios, etc. It's more than just a DVD video resource.