Truecrypt Drive Recovery

psychicrouge

I keep my important files in Truecrypt drives for security. Just recently for some reason the MBR of the Trucrypt drive has either been corrupted or the header has been corrupted. Truecrypt will mount the drives but windows will not allow me to explorer it asking me if i want to "format the drive". i have tried to read the raw data with testdisk but that didn't work and paragon partition manager will not show the virtual drives. is there any way for me recovery my data from the drive?

Try SpinRite (i am assuming its on a HDD, not a SSD)

Note you will still need to decrypt the data after running spinrite, but spinwrite doesnt care what type of data is on the drive encrypted or not (it even works on TiVos and iPods) it just tries to recovery everything on the disk.

Good Luck!

well the Truecrypt drives are actual mounted virtual drive. The drive file is about 100 GB and again the drive mounts there is no doubt about that, but im having problems with the recovery programs recognizing the virtual drive. i did run testdisk again and i was able to find some HFS files but i wasnt able to do any thing with them.

well the Truecrypt drives are actual mounted virtual drive. The drive file is about 100 GB and again the drive mounts there is no doubt about that, but im having problems with the recovery programs recognizing the virtual drive. i did run testdisk again and i was able to find some HFS files but i wasnt able to do any thing with them.

Use spinrite, if it is possible to fix the hdd it will work.

Can I just say I find what you did horrifying. You created a 100GB file on a NTFS file systems.

Yes NTFS is designed to cope with such things, but can you really trust on that additional layer of complexity (that is the file system) with such a thing that you can't afford to fuck up? I wouldn't. (VaKo, Moonlit, your opinion?)

Doing any thing other than storage of a small selection of files, you really should use a whole disk partition for truecrypt removing the file system complexity.