Jump to content

Dreaded off by one syndrome


hysterix
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I have been ripping from pandora ever sense you had to edit your own javascript files, when nothing was done automatically like it is now!

Anyways, as a programmer, I know all to well about the dreaded off-by-one syndrome.

What's that you ask? Oh, when an array index is off by one, and screws up everything you are using to depend on those numbers.

Why do I bring this up you ask? Oh, only because I have recently checked a lot of my songs, and a majority of them were off by one.

Meaning the song ripped, it just got the name of whatever the previous song was playing. This is not good people! Also, I'm surprised no one else has had this problem, and I notice it relatively often.

Me thinks it has something to do with the auto reload function of the page; But who knows.

Please investigate!

Thanks everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, lets see if anyone else can reproduce my results:

1. Run pandora.bat like normal

2. If it looks like pandora isn't grabbing the song right away, or if it's taking too long, I click the grab this track button.

3. The first song will be grabbed, and named correctly.

4. The second song will be named correctly, but the actual file is the previous song! (song one)

5. Every next song will now be named after the one proceeding it! All file names are off by one now!

If anyone else can reproduce these results, lets talk about how we fix it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my post from a thread 2 days ago where i was only able to get 1 response:

So heres the deal. I downloaded Pandora's jar about a week ago. I had trouble at the start, then realized i hadn't installed the greasemonkey script. Did so, and the page finally loaded right. Then i left the thing alone, let it go on cruise, ended up with probably around 140 songs. Yay...right? No. Not yay. Due to the fact that probably 8/10 songs were totally mis-labeled. Infuriating? Yes. So i had to start all over. No more heirachical structure stuff...Surely it would work then? Yes...for the shortest and most blessed period of time in the last week, it worked. Then, as all good things inevitably die, so to did this lull in errors. I stopped leaving it on cruise for so long, didnt want anything to go wrong. I would pause it after a successful download when i was heading for school or something of the kind, and that didnt go wrong. However, now, every time i open up pandora's jar it will open fine with no errors, but when the FIRST TRACK IT TRIES TO DOWNLOAD starts to download (after the 15s countdown), it will give me the following: unable to rip MP3 unable to find file make sure you have Pandora running in a FIRFOX browser. Then, on top of that, EVERY SONG AFTER WILL WORK. "Work" in the sense that it downloads and labels, however, as usual with technology, it does it wrong. It will download the PREVIOUS TRACK and then label it as the current track. So if i have tracks A,B, & C (in that order), then track A wont download right, it will just say "fetching ID3 Tags for Track A..." forever, or until i skip the song. Then, Track B will play, then will go through the process right (countdown, fetching ID3 tags, successful download), but though it is labeled "B", it will ACTUALLY be track A. This does not fix itself. It could basically run forever, permanently tagging the track beforehand. Its THAT FIRST TRACK!

Not exactly the same, but similar. Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

every time i open up pandora's jar it will open fine with no errors, but when the FIRST TRACK IT TRIES TO DOWNLOAD starts to download (after the 15s countdown), it will give me the following: unable to rip MP3 unable to find file make sure you have Pandora running in a FIRFOX browser. Then, on top of that, EVERY SONG AFTER WILL WORK. "Work" in the sense that it downloads and labels, however, as usual with technology, it does it wrong. It will download the PREVIOUS TRACK and then label it as the current track. So if i have tracks A,B, & C (in that order), then track A wont download right, it will just say "fetching ID3 Tags for Track A..." forever, or until i skip the song. Then, Track B will play, then will go through the process right (countdown, fetching ID3 tags, successful download), but though it is labeled "B", it will ACTUALLY be track A. This does not fix itself. It could basically run forever, permanently tagging the track beforehand. Its THAT FIRST TRACK!

Not exactly the same, but similar. Any ideas?

I have the exact same problem. I dont skip the first track, if i do it doesn't download all the way. I Manually change the names. What i do so that i don't mix the song names up is make a mp3 file for each session, write the first file with the Song - Artist - Album in a text file. Then i let it run, and with the first name written down, i can just change the names one by one. (Sort by Modified if you didnt leave the file open.) It's a bit of work, but i can't program in Java. If you do use it for timeshifting the names arn't really that important. (Though nice)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...