Have you seen the dark side?

philbot500

Has anyone seen the dark side of the internet?

I just read an article from a commercial AV site about how they found a copy of Vista SP1 from "the dark side of the internet"

Where exactly is this "dark Side"

Surely it can't be Hack5's own Darren with his cheeky smile and equally cheeky goatee!

I've just been looking at a site that has an undetectable Trojan (for now, anyway). Have I been to the darkside?

Before you ask, I have googled "darkside of the internet" and it didn't shed much light on it(no pun intended)

I also tried " kinda grey side of the internet," much to the same outcome.

Please help, I am at the end of my tether!

Is there a dark side or isn't there?

Do I just not know the right people?

See ya,

Philbot500.

Nope, there isn't a dark and light side of the Internet.

Such a concept is pure fantasy (unless you use location based system, in which case it's likely that Nigeria and China would be the dark sides of the Internet).

Such a term will, most likely, be used to describe a collective of legally questionable or out right illegal activities that can be performed on the Internet. In which case thepiratebay.org is right on the fence. They aren't braking the law but are pointing to copyrighted material, which isn't illegal, but following the links to download it is.

Thanks for the replies Sparda.

I think what I am really trying to say is that, we know there are people out there who can own a box behind any sort of protection.

About 3 years ago, before I new much about computers, I used to teach IT(word, Excel.etc) to people in prison. There I met an Israeli guy who was there for selling malicious code to companies to use against their rivals. He told me more that I can ever remember and this is what has sparked my interest in this subject.

He could have spent time and worked out how to code all this stuff himself but, there must be places where likeminded people talk about this. And these places must also be full of people who want to understand how this is done so they can stop it happening to their systems.

This must be classed as the darkside of the internet. Somewhere that is proactive about malicious code and not reactive.

one again thanks for your interest in this.

Philbot500

What you mean Airgap Firewall?

Got this from securityfocus:

The classical "air gap" firewall is pretty darned secure: you have the

Email go to a queue file on an externally reachable

machine. Every so often (once or twice a day) someone

makes a tape of the queue file, carries it to an internal

machine, runs a program against it that vets it for

attachments, executables, etc, and discards them,

then pushes the messages into a mail system. Now,

that _is_ good security. It also makes web surfing

difficult. :) Which was what prompted my earlier post

on the topic: if you can transparently surf the web through

it, it's an "ordinary" firewall at best.

Is there something I'm missing? Is this a generic term now?

Regards,

Philbot500.

I didn't even expect you to find a definition that was so miss leading. A air gapped network is one that has no physicl connection to another other network (over copper or other wise). And thus is the most secure type of network that exists. if it has users then it's much less secure.

Getting a bit away from the post but, are you saying that this airgap means that no matter what i do with your IP I will get no useful results?

I've read along time ago about a product that sits between you and the internet that has no IP address, therefor has no ddos problems, and gives you full access.

Is this the same thing?

Getting a bit away from the post but, are you saying that this airgap means that no matter what i do with your IP I will get no useful results?

I've read along time ago about a product that sits between you and the internet that has no IP address, therefor has no ddos problems, and gives you full access.

Is this the same thing?

The only way to circumvent an "airgap" firewall is physical access (which may include handing Sparda an infected floppy/CD/USB stick/etc) because it's not actually connected to the internet. His point was that you cannot touch that machine without being in the same room as it (or social engineering someone who is in the room with it).

It's not an actual product, it's simply the fact that it isn't connected to a network period.

It's from the same dictionary as "sneakernet", which while not being a traditional computer network does allow data to be passed through it. It actually just means walking to someone's place with a floppy full of warez in your hand (while, if you're being pedantic, wearing sneakers/training shoes).