ubuntu and my system dont want to be friends

zero1

Ok this is a long story so ill start with the question, in ep2 of hak5 Harrison installs os x straight from a disk image.  Could this be done with a linux iso? and if so how?

Here's the story (its not very interesting) i got a new comp after a struggle a got kubuntu onto it, but kde broke when i tried to upgrade to 7. 10.  During the time I first tried to get linux onto this machine i also installed ubuntu 7. 07 which is what i am currently using but wish to upgrade to 7. 10 with kde 4.  however whilst installing compiz fusion apt got fucked. 

the thing is ubuntu + core 2 duo + certian motherboards results in the install cd not working

now let me clarify "not working" the cd is not corrupt and i have tried both graphical and text based installs

So basically could i put the iso on a partition of the hard drive and boot from it?

install the latest version of ubuntu get it working then in the command line run this command on one line

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade && sudo aptitude install kde-desktop

restart and from the login screen go

options then select kde as the environment