WASTE improvments

Sparda

I might, but its in ODT format, and to be really honest with you, I cannot be arsed to download and install yet another document veiwer. Any chance of you converting it to html? Might make it a bit more accesible.

I like the VPN idea, but a lot of cheapo home-class routers die when you use VPN, not sure why. And this is usually what people P2P with...

Main problem with any P2P network is basically infiltration and double agents. No matter how anomous its made, there is nothing that will stop the RIAA et al gaining access and running amok. Its always going to be race to see who can out hack the other side fastest.

What I think will happen is they'll just bypass it all together and mandate PC's that only play "trusted media" alla paladium.

No you miss understand, waste is alredy a VPN, but, every peer of the network can see every other peers IP address, the idea of the new addressing system is to remove the need for IP address use, and making a whois imposible.

Hmmm... might work.

What happens when 2 machines can't find anyone else and declare theyselves as 10^lots more zeros^0, then try and connecto to each other.

Am i wrong in thinking that what your trying to design is like an open source alternative to IP addresses, encapsluated in an encrypted VPN? And the VPN connection would still have to use the existing IP structure in order to traverse the regular internet?

Well, the idea is to prevent each client seeing another clients IP address, but this is not posible becasue of how the internet works. How ever, you can limite the number of IP addresses seeable, the absalute minimum is one, you have to have a direct connection to at least one peer, though that peer you can connect to the rest of the peers using the protocol wit hthe customised adresses. Well, hopfully all the computer will beable to find each other, but this is a very trust based network, each peer acts as a router (A proper router, not a NAT router), as hopfully each peer will move trafic closer to it's intended destination.

Its workable, only issue is that as soon as you start limiting the IP's it knows of, you run into problems, as you mentioned, when you lose a peer. You could just use that for signing on to the network and force direct connections, but i'm not to familar with WASTE tbh.

Out of intrest, how does your model compare to de-centralized BT + better encryption than RC4?

Well, WASTE encypts all it's traftic, the authentication proccess uses RSA keys, but all the trafic for file transfers is Blowfish encypted. It's hard to make a full blown protocal that is efficent with out any dedicated servers at all.