Is my WifiPineapple Mk7 a dud, or am I missing something?

Hello all!!

I have recently gotten back to the point where I'm able to dabble in some pentesting as professional development in my home lab. My pineapple has been in storage for about a year and I forgot the password to it. "No problem", I thought "I'll just do a factory reset and set a new password." But what had not dawned on my is that I am using a new computer vs the last time I used it. Something is not connecting with the settings on my computer, I cant access any of the IPs (The 42.42 or the 42.1) on any port I have tried. I've used different browsers, tried different firewall rules. Nada. I have the PineApple connected via the USB-C cable and still have had no luck connecting to it. I've followed all the literature to a T to set it up. Any help with the settings on my computer would be appreciated. I do have Nord and U-Orign as my VPN and adblocker respectively. I had those same programs installed on my last machine and I was able to connect to my pine apple no problem. Running an HP notebook with Windows 11.

4 hours ago, gunslinger633 said:

I forgot the password to it. "No problem", I thought "I'll just do a factory reset and set a new password."

There's actually no need to factory reset if you just forgot your password (if you've just had the Pineapple stored away for a year, you most likely have a fw of 1.1.0 or later installed that support this feature)

https://docs.hak5.org/wifi-pineapple/faq/password-reset

However, to troubleshoot your inability to access the Pineapple, more info is needed. When you connect the Pineapple to the Windows 11 PC, is there any new network interface showing on the PC? If the Pineapple shows up as a network interface, can you ping 172.16.42.1 from the PC?

5 hours ago, gunslinger633 said:

I cant access any of the IPs (The 42.42 or the 42.1)

The 42.42 address isn't relevant to try to connect to since that should represent the PC itself (if you've followed the documented procedure of doing a factory reset, which you say you have). You should use the 42.1 address to reach the Pineapple (of course not specifying any port at all if trying to factory reset, i.e. not use port 1471 or anything else).

• Upvote 1

When the PineApple boots up, I can see a new network interface. It’s unidentified Ethernet 3. I can’t ping it on the 42.1. When pining in command prompt or power shell I get the following result.

Pinging 172.16.42.1 with 32 bytes of data:

General Failure 

General Failure 

General Failure 

General Failure 

Ping statistics for 172.16.42.1:

Packets: Sent =4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

That is probably because of some network config on your Win11 machine. I usually don't use the Pineapple along with Windows 11, but I just tried it with one of my lab Win11 boxes and it worked perfectly well (not that surprised though). I guess you have to examine your Windows setup, temporarily disable any local firewall, try different USB cables, different USB ports, other computers, etc.