Cracking a passcode?

KJH

Only if you can get the correct code in the first ten attempts, after which the phone will be disabled. The FBI, you may have heard, once used a now-patched exploit to bypass the PIN security.

Don't try to hack iPhones. Just about every attack vector you could find, Apple already knows about, and they are very serious about securing their devices. 

Edited by DramaKing

• 4 months later...
On 7/5/2023 at 6:35 PM, DramaKing said:

Only if you can get the correct code in the first ten attempts, after which the phone will be disabled. The FBI, you may have heard, once used a now-patched exploit to bypass the PIN security.

Don't try to hack iPhones. Just about every attack vector you could find, Apple already knows about, and they are very serious about securing their devices. 

That certainly is NOT the answer to the man's question. A question in which I'm also seeking for an answer. Anybody else knows?

1 hour ago, miltiadis said:

That certainly is NOT the answer to the man's question. A question in which I'm also seeking for an answer. Anybody else knows?

KJH asked if it was possible, and I responded yes ... sort of. You have a 0.1% chance, unless it's six digits, then there's a 0.001% chance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 10:49 PM, DramaKing said:

KJH asked if it was possible, and I responded yes ... sort of. You have a 0.1% chance, unless it's six digits, then there's a 0.001% chance.

Do you have an OMG cable? If yes, please reply.

I do not need to crack a passcode if I have the cable so don't count the chances. Do I grab the passcode from my kid's phone which I myself bought? This is the sole use I need it for.

Thank you

6 hours ago, miltiadis said:

Do you have an OMG cable? If yes, please reply.

I do not need to crack a passcode if I have the cable so don't count the chances. Do I grab the passcode from my kid's phone which I myself bought? This is the sole use I need it for.

Thank you

We're talking about an input device, not a magic forensic tool. If the phone is locked, you need to unlock it to do anything. iPhones will lock permanently after 10 attempts. 

14 hours ago, DramaKing said:

We're talking about an input device, not a magic forensic tool. If the phone is locked, you need to unlock it to do anything. iPhones will lock permanently after 10 attempts. 

Im sorry for this but don't reply any further in case someone takes this thread seriously.

We are NOT asking about cracking, this is NOT a question about forensics or anything.

The scenario is simple:

I give you the cable and you charge your phone with it.

I'm in the room with you connected to its access point.

Im waiting for the passcode to appear.

Will it?

Dead simple question.

12 hours ago, miltiadis said:

Im sorry for this but don't reply any further in case someone takes this thread seriously.

We are NOT asking about cracking, this is NOT a question about forensics or anything.

The scenario is simple:

I give you the cable and you charge your phone with it.

I'm in the room with you connected to its access point.

Im waiting for the passcode to appear.

Will it?

Dead simple question.

Okay, that's a simple question, so here's a simple answer: no. Longer answer is that the communication is one way. You can inject keystrokes log keystrokes from an attached keyboard. That's it. The Hak5 collection of payloads is available here: https://github.com/hak5/omg-payloads/tree/master/payloads/library

As I said, to successfully exploit an IPhone’s lock screen, you need a forensic tool like a gray box or GrayKey. That particular device is only sold to governments. 

7 hours ago, DramaKing said:

Okay, that's a simple question, so here's a simple answer: no. Longer answer is that the communication is one way. You can inject keystrokes log keystrokes from an attached keyboard. That's it. The Hak5 collection of payloads is available here: https://github.com/hak5/omg-payloads/tree/master/payloads/library

As I said, to successfully exploit an IPhone’s lock screen, you need a forensic tool like a gray box or GrayKey. That particular device is only sold to governments. 

Thank you

7 hours ago, DramaKing said:

But isn't OMG cable acting as a keyboard while attached? So, charging my phone and using it with the OMG cable doesn't show you my keystrokes?

Yes, it can act as a keyboard and inject keystrokes (but that's not the same thing as keylogging)

Just by attaching the cable to the phone doesn't make it start to "tap" keystrokes when the "internal" on-screen phone keyboard is used

The keylogging needs a physical attached external keyboard where the cable sits in-line between the external keyboard and the phone/device (but you have already gotten that answer in this thread)

You also need to connect the active end to the target device ("To successfully keylog, you need to physically connect the active end to the target host.")

External keyboard       <->        O.MG cable      <->     Phone (or whatever device that is used)

Keys entered on the external keyboard         >>>     Keys captured by the cable  >>>    Entered keys shown/"inserted" on device just as if nothing has happened

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/54456-omg-keylogger-cable/#comment-344754
https://forums.hak5.org/topic/54456-omg-keylogger-cable/#comment-346480
https://github.com/O-MG/O.MG-Firmware/wiki/Keylogger

6 hours ago, miltiadis said:

But isn't OMG cable acting as a keyboard while attached? So, charging my phone and using it with the OMG cable doesn't show you my keystrokes?

A lot of people confuse software and hardware keyloggers. Here's the list of supported keyboards: https://mg.lol/blog/keylogger-cable/. Keylogger apps (as in a screen overlay that can monitor screen taps) are not allowed by Apple. 

• 1 month later...