Packet Squirrel won't connect to the network

beginner123

Whenever I try to connect my packet squirrel to the network to run the TCPDump payload, it never makes the connection and fails. In the "Available Networks" on my computer I see it trying to connect, it says "Identifying Network No Internet" then disappears without ever actually connecting. 

I plugged the ethernet cable on the power side to my computer and the ethernet on the USB side to the network switch. Maybe I am doing something wrong, I'm not sure

If anyone can help that would be great

Just now, dark_pyrro said:

What are you referring to here? The target computer or the Squirrel?

Any LED indications on the Squirrel?

The computer isn't recognizing the squirrel as an ethernet adapter and so nothing is getting routed through it.

in terms of LED it starts blinking green then solid green then blinking blue for about two seconds and then finally slow blinking red (which from what I understood is FAIL)

The computer shouldn't recognize the Squirrel at all since the TCPDump payload runs in NETMODE TRANSPARENT

However, blinking red indicates that no USB storage device was found (when it comes to the TCPDump payload). Do you have a properly formatted USB storage device attached to the Squirrel?

7 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

The computer shouldn't recognize the Squirrel at all since the TCPDump payload runs in NETMODE TRANSPARENT

However, blinking red indicates that no USB storage device was found (when it comes to the TCPDump payload). Do you have a properly formatted USB storage device attached to the Squirrel?

Yes I formatted it to NFTS

image.png.e25703dc46a46aead928a8e65db2716d.png

First, I would try to reformat the USB storage device and make sure it's got one partition and not just a block device. If possible, try EXT4 as well. Also try different USB storage devices in case it's something with the one you are using that the Squirrel doesn't "like" for some reason.

Second, I would check /etc/hotplug.d/block/20-usb as well and make sure it mounts to /mnt and not some other directory.

19 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

First, I would try to reformat the USB storage device and make sure it's got one partition and not just a block device. If possible, try EXT4 as well. Also try different USB storage devices in case it's something with the one you are using that the Squirrel doesn't "like" for some reason.

Second, I would check /etc/hotplug.d/block/20-usb as well and make sure it mounts to /mnt and not some other directory.

I've tried it with a different USB, made sure to have at least one partition and checked that it is mounting to /mnt and still it is not showing up

This is the output for ls /dev without the USB:

image.thumb.png.35204790d1364586eef6ceee483fa606.png

Output of ls /dev with USB:

image.thumb.png.c7221b2b070011c4f5d07d05e05afb93.png

8 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

Also the output of lsusb with and without the USB storage device

This is giving me an error, saying the file/directory doesn't exist, both with USB and without

Ok, the command not available on the Squirrel, skip that, didn't remember it wasn't installed out of the box

Anyway, the USB storage device isn't available as a device in /dev and the only thing I can think of is that it's not formatted in a proper way. I only use Windows for office stuff so I'm normally using Linux for everything else and I would use gparted to make sure the USB storage device is all OK for use along with the Squirrel.

22 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

Ok, the command not available on the Squirrel, skip that, didn't remember it wasn't installed out of the box

Anyway, the USB storage device isn't available as a device in /dev and the only thing I can think of is that it's not formatted in a proper way. I only use Windows for office stuff so I'm normally using Linux for everything else and I would use gparted to make sure the USB storage device is all OK for use along with the Squirrel.

Ok, so do you think there is anything else I can do?

I really appreciate all the help, thank you

On 5/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, dark_pyrro said:

You say:

Did you recently update it? I.e. was it on a lower fw version when you tried getting the USB storage device mounted, or has it been on fw 3.2 all the time?

It was on version 1.0 while I was trying earlier, then I updated it and it still isn't recognizing the USB

1 hour ago, dark_pyrro said:

Not using the latest firmware might explain previous issues getting the USB storage device mounted on the Packet Squirrel since issues related to that was fixed in firmware versions after 1.0 (1.2 and 3.1)

The Squirrel still isn't recognizing the USB even with the latest firmware..

You have to work on the USB storage device. If there's nothing failing with your specific Squirrel, it should be no issue getting it to recognize a storage device. I've never had any issues so it should not be related to any form of bug in the Squirrel. Try NTFS, EXT4 and different USB memory sticks and also making sure it's formatted properly.

An alternative would be to prepare the USB storage using the Packet Squirrel itself (not formatting it in Windows or Linux on some computer). Try the following and do it with a totally empty USB storage device first to get familiar with the steps, or at least using a USB storage device with nothing important on it (since anything on it will be totally deleted in the process).

On the Squirrel, do:

Attach the USB storage device to the Squirrel
Connect the Squirrel in a way so that it gets internet connectivity (in arming mode)
Power the Squirrel on
ssh into the Squirrel
opkg update
opkg install gdisk
block info | grep "/dev/sd"
The above command should at least list the USB storage device (most likely as /dev/sda1 or something with "sda"), if not, then try another USB storage device
gdisk /dev/sda
i
(to get partition info)
o
(this will delete all previous partition data)
n
(to create a new partition)
enter on all default values that gdisk suggests
w
(to write the changes)
gdisk should say "The operation has completed successfully." when finished and exit from gdisk
Reboot the Squirrel
Once again, run:
If there is nothing displaying, then try running:
reformat_usb
Once again, run:
and
df -h
/dev/sda1 should be mounted to /mnt and the filesystem of the USB storage device should be "ext4"

(Note! Since it's formatted using ext4, you can't insert it to a Windows machine and expect it to mount, this is just to verify that the USB storage device gets mounted on the Squirrel)