Shift key in STRING seems to not be working correctly

bashbugs

Hi all,

I am getting some strange results from a new Bash Bunny I just purchased this week and was wondering if anyone had any insight. Random key presses are getting the shift modifier incorrectly applied/not applied to them. This occurs on my Ubuntu 22.04 laptop but not on my W11 desktop. I was able to recreate this issue consistently with the following payload.

payload.txt:

ATTACKMODE HID

Q STRING 1 + 1 = 2
Q ENTER
Q STRING AaBbCcDdEe
Q ENTER

Here are the results after 5 runs:

! = 1 = 2
aabbccddee
! = 1 = 2
AabBccddee
1 = 1 = 2
AabbccDdEe
! = 1 = 2
aaBBccddee
1 = 1 = 2
aaBbccddee

Anyone experienced anything similar or have some insight? Thanks in advance!

Yes, I've experienced that on Linux based computers. I've seen others that has had similar issues as well. Not really had any reason to dig deeper into it though since it's not my main target environment when using the Bunny. I have made some tests using the USB Rubber Ducky on the same PCs and haven't been able to recreate it, so it could perhaps be Bunny related. If you need this to work and want to report it, then I'd suggest creating a support ticket.

Edited by dark_pyrro

• 6 months later...

I am experiencing the same thing in Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS! Everything works fine in MacOS and Kali Linux, but not Ubuntu. Tried multiple computers, USB ports, etc. Same result every time with the shift presses. I have seen some people mention driver support, so I tried a couple different VID_/PID_ combinations, to no avail. I tried on USB3 and USB2 ports. I also tried "DEFAULT_DELAY 100" at the top of the script.

Sorry I meant to say, the default desktop environment in Ubuntu 22.04 is GNOME. However I think I figured out the issue. For this specific OS version, GNOME is using the Wayland display server by default, with a Mutter compositor. Wayland/Mutter has some built in security functions designed to help protect against keyboard injection (boo... erm... yay?). The simple solution is to use a terminal emulator like xterm or konsole. In fact, there is a Bash Bunny extension to do this for us!

$ RUN UNITY xterm

Hope that helps!

True. I believe it’s part of the default install of Ubuntu 22.04 at least. The solution I ended up using actually didn’t use the RUN extension because Kali didn’t like it and/or I didn’t know what my options were and I wanted a universal Linux OS solution. My method was…

$ QUACK GUI

$ QUACK GUI SPACE

$ QUACK STRING “terminal” 

$ QUACK ENTER

$ QUACK STRING “xterm || konsole”

$ QUACK ENTER

This works in MacOS because the default display server isn’t Wayland, and the other terminal binaries like xterm and konsole just didn’t exist, so the extra command doesn’t hurt anything. Then for Ubuntu it opens a Wayland terminal, but then it will just run through the list of non-Wayland terminals until one exists, since they can be opened without using the shift key, and you’re good to go. List as many terminal emulators as you want that you know will work and hope one is installed. But then if Wayland/Mutter ever is updated to block more than shift presses, my method fails. 

• 5 weeks later...

You're right but I found a more universal method that seems to work on MacOS and the few linux distros I tested (Ubuntu, Manjaro and Kali).

QUACK GUI SPACE #Will open a search prompt to search for terminal in MacOS, and does nothing in Linux
QUACK GUI #Will open a search prompt in Linux and does nothing in MacOS
QUACK STRING "terminal" #Opens a terminal, but we don't know what kind of terminal it opened and it might not be compatible with BashBunny SHIFT presses, so we will attempt to open a few known working terminals if they are installed on the machine
QUACK ENTER
QUACK DELAY 1500
QUACK STRING "qterminal" #This is the first of many possible known working terminals and we check to see if it's installed
QUACK ENTER
QUACK DELAY 500
QUACK STRING "n" #In Kali and probably some other Linux distributions, the terminal will prompt you to install the package if it isn't already, to which we say "no". If it's an OS that doesn't prompt to install, like MacOS, this will do no harm. Of course you could say "y" but then you're modifying the host OS which may be undesirable.
QUACK ENTER
QUACK DELAY 500
QUACK STRING "gnome-terminal" #If qterminal did not launch, perhaps gnome-terminal will be installed. If qterminal did launch, no problem, it will just try to launch gnome-terminal from within it, and so on and so forth as many terminals as you want to try. This way we have the best chances of launching a terminal that BashBunny is compatible with.
QUACK ENTER
QUACK DELAY 500
QUACK STRING "n"
QUACK ENTER
QUACK DELAY 500

QUACK STRING "killall qterminal & killall gnome-terminal- & killall Terminal & killall xterm & killall konsole & killall lxterminal & killall urxvt & killall st & killall alacritty & killall xfce4-terminal & killall tilda" #This will close all of the terminals that may have opened once the script is complete

QUACK ENTER

In my testing, I found the following terminal emulators to be compatible with BashBunny...

Terminal (macOS)

qterminal

gnome-terminal

xterm

konsole

lxterminal

urxvt

st

alacritty

xfce4-terminal

tilda

cool-retro-term