Can I use any Hak5 tools to Mimic a remote location via WiFi Geo-Positioning

Warbux

I would like to learn how Outdoor Wifi positioning systems like Skyhook work. My thought was to take data from a site like wigle.net and try to replicate it in a shielded room I have built  in my basement in order to test how services like Skyhook work. My question is what kind of hardware do I need in order to replicate 3 or 4 hotspots accurately. Is this something I could buy 3 or 4 wifi pineapples for or is there another tool that would work better?

I had a student do this as a university dissertation two years ago.

He used a pineapple to broadcast multiple ESSIDs and then watched the location on his phone move around based on what values he broadcast.

It was partially successful and he could get it to move, but as soon as you put it in a real world environment it wasn't great as his fake values were competing with real ones from the environment.

10 hours ago, digininja said:

I had a student do this as a university dissertation two years ago.

He used a pineapple to broadcast multiple ESSIDs and then watched the location on his phone move around based on what values he broadcast.

It was partially successful and he could get it to move, but as soon as you put it in a real world environment it wasn't great as his fake values were competing with real ones from the environment.

I intended to use a faraday cage to keep outside signals from penetrating the environment.  

You should be able to see how it works with just a single AP broadcasting multiple ESSIDs then.

You can do with with a standard WiFi card which will do AP mode as well as with an actual access point.

He didn't need to. We were working on the assumption that we would need to set up multiple access points each with different powers, but it worked without that.

It would probably have been more accurate by doing that though.

Archived