Can't inject frames using PineAP

kaine119

Hi, I was hoping to leverage PineAP's frame injection capability to execute key reinstallation attacks. However, when I tried injecting arbitrary packets with PineAP, I couldn't pick up said packets on another monitor.

On my machine, I set up a Fedora VM with wireshark/airmon-ng and a USB WiFi card to monitor packets, and the Pineapple next to the WiFi card. From the Pineapple, I used aireplay-ng on wlan1mon to play a deauthentication attack, and successfully captured the deauth packets on my VM.

I then copied the packet's hex stream from wireshark, and tried to play the same attack using PineAP. (MACs changed)

c0 00 3a 01 60 ab 67 12 34 56 e8 cc 18 22 34 56 e8 cc 18 12 34 56 50 27 07 00 
            <  client MAC   > <     AP MAC    >

I pasted the above (minus the comments) into the payload field, with parameters;

Channel: 3 (the same channel I was monitoring on with the VM)
Frame count: 100
Send delay: 100ms

However, I didn't pick up any such packets on my VM. Same thing happens on different channels, as well as after I rebooted the Pineapple.

I tried to use the CLI, but I did not pick up any packets from this either:

$ cat test.packet
c0 00 3a 01 60 ab 67 12 34 56 e8 cc 18 22 34 56 e8 cc 18 12 34 56 50 27 07 00
$ pineap inject test.packet 3 100 100

Am I missing something on how to inject frames using PineAP? Doesn't seem like a hardware issue, since aireplay-ng is able to use the radios to replay packets.

Additionally, instead of blocking for (100 packets * 100ms delay per packet) = 10s, the above injections, from the web UI and the pineap invocation, instantly returned. Is this command supposed to be non-blocking?

Thanks!

Archived