2 Questions, need help.

Mr Andrewson

Well, low and behold i dual booted Ubuntu and Xp last night, i was so proud, and then when it came to the part of choosing how big the new partition was going to be, i chose the first option, and move the bar to 40Gb Partition space, i thought that partition was for Ubuntu.

So... i finished the install thinking all was going well, until i booted up Xp and saw how much space was left in my main drive, (C:/) I had 40Gb space and 22Gb Free Space, so the partition i chose was for Xp, yes?

I tried to see how much drive space was available on Ubuntu, but it wouldn't tell me... so i want to know how i can now change the size of each of the two partitions, i think it is possible, but i need help with it.

That was only the first problem, internet and Ubuntu, how? I have a TalkTalk internet cd, and it has no Linux folder in there or anything to do with Linux, so how can i get my ADSL internet connection ready?

Thats all, thanks in advance! :wink:

That was only the first problem, internet and Ubuntu, how? I have a TalkTalk internet cd, and it has no Linux folder in there or anything to do with Linux, so how can i get my ADSL internet connection ready?

How is you connection physically to the Internet, please state connection type at every step.

So there isn't any way at all to get internet on Ubuntu? I am getting a router later this year, which will hopefully plug into the phone socket and come with a wireless usb dongle so i don't have to use the cable anymore, so would that work?

edit: So if i buy a router i can just connect wirelessly without the modem?

Ways to get Linux online, easiest to hardest (from what I've experienced and heard):

1) Ethernet Card + CAT5 + router

2) Wireless, though it's helpful if you've got a native driver for your wifi kit (you can use Windows drivers but it's harder)

3) USB modems

[phone line]--------------[router]-----------[linux machine's NIC]

The only thing the Linux machine will worry about is the NIC, so providing you've got a network card with Linux drivers (mine are included in the ubuntu package) it'll have no problem.

Ok, in the lnik above i get to the part where it says PPPoATM or PPPoE but i don't undersand which i use, so i'm thinking... my ADSL connection doesn't use etehrnet so it can't be PPPoE. Now after PPPoATM part it says replace username with he username your ISP provided you with, i've done that and then it asks for:

and also change 0.00 with the VP/VC values and save the file as speedtch. Now copy it to /etc/ppp/peers :

Now what are VP/VC values, and how cna i get them?

They where in the quick setup guide for my router. I can only presume that Linksys (Cisco) had the for sight to ask BT for the connection information, since the majority of the people who bought there routers, would be using them with a BT connection.