Parrotsec OS installation error

r3ptilbot

If you read my previous post you will already know that I have a new Alienware m17 and that I am trying to perform a dual boot on it. I have decide to use parrotsec os instead. There is one step that keeps on going wrong for me and I do not know why. I will say what steps I did and see if anyone here can help me. I started by downloading the parrotsec os ISO file (the one on the right). I then used etcher to burn the ISO onto a usb. When it finished it said that it had been successful. I then booted my computer from the usb and went through all of the installation steps like normal. When the system was installing (which took quite some time) it stopped at around 80% and said that the installation had failed :huh:. I had to abort the installation. No data was effected negatively by this or anything and my Windows 10 OS is still fine but I am still confused what happened. I was thik that my partition size for the installation may not have been big enough (it was 11.6 GB). Anyways if any of guys could give some advice it would be greatly appreciated :smile:.

Okay so it looks like this was a problem with partitioning. I installed parrotsec, but now I have new problem. So when I go into boot menu (F12 on my computer) it shows parrot and windows boot manager. Windows 10 seems to be working fine. When I go to parrot there is an error. I will press enter and it will show something like this (I could not put actual image here so I am just typing it in best I can)

[    0.423401] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT4._GTF
], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810/dswload2-316)
[    0.423411] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (201808
10/psobject-221)
[     0.423415] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Opcodename unavailable (20180810/
psloop-543)

Honestly I panicked when I saw this. Then I realized Windows 10 was still okay, so I calmed down. Anyways if anyone knows what this is or advice on fixing it please reply bellow. I do not know what this this.

I think there is a minimum hard drive size for parrot and in this case almost all current Linux distros.  I can't remember if it was parrot or a different one but I'd get almost through the install and it would give me a red screen with an error message saying install had failed.  I just increased the hard drive size and it worked.  These days with the size of hard drives I'd go with at least 30 to 50GB if you can. 

Side question for you, why dual boot?  Honestly I've been doing this for a long long time and I've never seen a reason to dual boot.  Would installing vmware or virtualbox on Windows 10 be an option?  VMs these days are pretty robust and you can easily pass through USB, network, and pretty much anything else you'd need.  I pretty much live by VMs.  They are safe, you can take them anywhere, and if you break it you just open up a backup.  Just my two cents.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:07 AM, Bob123 said:

I think there is a minimum hard drive size for parrot and in this case almost all current Linux distros.  I can't remember if it was parrot or a different one but I'd get almost through the install and it would give me a red screen with an error message saying install had failed.  I just increased the hard drive size and it worked.  These days with the size of hard drives I'd go with at least 30 to 50GB if you can. 

Side question for you, why dual boot?  Honestly I've been doing this for a long long time and I've never seen a reason to dual boot.  Would installing vmware or virtualbox on Windows 10 be an option?  VMs these days are pretty robust and you can easily pass through USB, network, and pretty much anything else you'd need.  I pretty much live by VMs.  They are safe, you can take them anywhere, and if you break it you just open up a backup.  Just my two cents.

The installation failed the first time I tried due to lack of space. Afterwards I put enough space and it installed fine. However every time I start parrotsec os it gives me this error.

[    0.423401] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT4._GTF
], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810/dswload2-316)
[    0.423411] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (201808
10/psobject-221)
[     0.423415] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Opcodename unavailable (20180810/
psloop-543)

I do not know why it does this. The installation had no errors in it. My iso was not corrupted. Etcher was able to burn the iso onto my usb successfully. Yet every time I try to start parrot it shows the error above. Also I tried virtualbox with an ova file but that did not work. The only other way would be to go into live mode on an iso in virtualbox which means i cannot store files, it goes very slowly, and the screen is way too small.

When I boot in ACPI off mode it has no errors and I am taken to some CLI. Is there any way I can fix it from there?

Edited by r3ptilbot
New info came up

• 2 years later...