Bash Bunny Will Not Update

donwayne

My Bash Bunny (BB) is stuck on firmware 1.0_167 and all firmware updates fail. I can get payloads to work but firmware updates always hang. After 10 minutes the firmware update either continuously loops (red led flashing) or solid red led and the BB gets really hot. I've searched the forums and have been unable to find a solution. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

- I've verified the sha256 sums for all firmware versions I've downloaded

- I've tried using the updater program and manually downloaded all firmware versions

- I can log into the BB via serial console and SSH  

- I used the script from the post below to do a udisk reformat and it says it was successful. 

- I've tried different USB ports on the computer and even disconnecting all other USB devices while doing so

- The procedure below did not work either. I let the BB run for 40 mins and led patterns changed. The red led remains illuminated for 5 seconds followed by a alternating blinking and then 5 seconds off and it repeats. 

Look at SebKinne's Ultimate Bash Bunny Unbricking Guide. It's pinned at the top of this forum.

MB60893,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add that I've attempted the unbricking process numerous times and it never completes. The red led continues to blink after 10+ minutes, but blinks at different intervals than when the unbricking process starts. There are 3 blinks followed by a long blink, a regular blink and then a long pause. This loops through a for a few minutes and then it appears to start over blinking at the regular interval. There is never an indication that the process completes. 

Is there a different unbricking process for firmware 1.0_167?

Having not done any firmware updates myself (I avoid them like the plague, because they seem so temperamental), I don't know if there is a way to unbrick it another way...

My best suggestion is to see if you can downgrade the BashBunny back to the previous firmware version/at least an operating state. If this doesn't work, contact the HakShop or Hak5 directly for support.

Good luck!

14 hours ago, MB60893 said:

Having not done any firmware updates myself (I avoid them like the plague, because they seem so temperamental), I don't know if there is a way to unbrick it another way...

My best suggestion is to see if you can downgrade the BashBunny back to the previous firmware version/at least an operating state. If this doesn't work, contact the HakShop or Hak5 directly for support.

Good luck!

It is on the original firmware and has not been updated. I can get it to an unbricked condition and it runs payloads. My concern with it not updating or completing the unbricking process as described in the guide is not knowing if a payload does not work because of issues I'm having with the BB.

I'll reach out to HakShop.

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, donwayne said:

It is on the original firmware and has not been updated. I can get it to an unbricked condition and it runs payloads. My concern with it not updating or completing the unbricking process as described in the guide is not knowing if a payload does not work because of issues I'm having with the BB.

I'll reach out to HakShop.

Thanks again.

If you have it in a working condition, you may be able to run a filesystem check or have a look at some boot diagnostics/dmesg reports.

Archived