questions about wireless routers/bridges/etc ...

DLSS

ok so i'm getting my wii and want to hook it up to the net ...

it will stand upstairs , my pc and router are downstairs ...

i currently have a non-wireless router

my first idea would be to run a cat5 cable upstairs and use a ethernet2usb adapter to hook it up to the wii .... but my parents wont let me lay such a long cat5 cable upstairs... and wont let me drill another hole through the roof (yes i did this b4 to hook up my tv ...)

so now i'm wondering wich solutions are there to make the wii hook up to a wireless network that i can still use my current cat5 connection to my pc.

ive checked the net and seen some wireless bridges etc is it possible to use those to connect my wii to my router (so [router] - }wireless bridge{ [wii] )

or will i need to purchase a new wireless router (hope not)

what solutions are there and wich are the cheapest ?

ok so i'm getting my wii and want to hook it up to the net ...

it will stand upstairs , my pc and router are downstairs ...

i currently have a non-wireless router

my first idea would be to run a cat5 cable upstairs and use a ethernet2usb adapter to hook it up to the wii .... but my parents wont let me lay such a long cat5 cable upstairs... and wont let me drill another hole through the roof (yes i did this b4 to hook up my tv ...)

so now i'm wondering wich solutions are there to make the wii hook up to a wireless network that i can still use my current cat5 connection to my pc.

ive checked the net and seen some wireless bridges etc is it possible to use those to connect my wii to my router (so [router] - }wireless bridge{ [wii] )

or will i need to purchase a new wireless router (hope not)

what solutions are there and wich are the cheapest ?

Well... it really depends... you got plenty of option..

First is your pc or laptop (upstairs in your room) running a G or B wireless card?... A G would catch a further signal and run to 54 Mbit/s than a B (11 Mbit/s), so at this point, you might wanna just keep the wireless router or WAP (depending what you get), downstairs and then see how strong the signal would be in your room upstairs.

So at this point, you can either decide to get another wireless router, which you can find for 50-60 €, even less and then you're set... now if the signal is low in your room, then you can always use a repeater, to repeat the signal, and in this case, all you need is to plug it to an AC jack.

Now if you do not wanna switch the router to a wireless router, you can still buy a WAP device, probably 30€, and then hook it up to the router...

now if you still get a low signal in the room, then you might have to buy a repeater

In both case, I would say put more money and get a wireless router, i mean they make them pretty cheap today... and if you buy a WAP for 30€, you might as well invest another 20€ and get a wireless router.

There is another option to run the Ethernet connection through the AC power... Never tried it, not sure how to set it up, but maybe someone of the forum has tried before...

hope that helped!