Disable DHCP and/or DNS

Dave-ee Jones

Hoi!

So, for the sake of theoretical scenarios, how would one disable DHCP and/or DNS? I believe they both run under 'dnsmasq' which means if I disabled DHCP by stopping 'dnsmasq' I would also kill DNS. I want to be able to kill one or the other, or both. Just to be annoying. :)

Anyone know how to do this? I can't find a boolean value in the configs that allow you to turn off DNS/DHCP and then restart the 'dnsmasq' service.

Also, if I restarted the PS after making these changes (via UCI I would presume..) will they revert back to the original configuration (which is what I want just in case something breaks).

Any help is appreciated! Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I apologize if I'm posting at the wrong place. But Dave-ee Jones seems to have dealt with something related to this in the past.

Is it possible to set a static IP or request a preferred IP from the DHCP server, for the squirrel, when it is on switch 3 mode?

I've been trying to set it here --

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option ifname 'eth0 eth1'

-- changing the proto to static an setting the ipaddr value and gateway or jsut adding a ipaddr '192.xxx.xxx.x" under the option proto 'dhcp'

My problem is that when i run /etc/init.d/network reload or restar. The vpn connection freezes and all i can do is manually reboot the squirrel.

That's okay, it's not entirely off topic :)

You can change the IP of the PS, but if you're running a VPN you will probably need to stop the OpenVPN service, restart the network and then start the OpenVPN service again.

uci set network.lan.ipaddr="10.0.0.1"
uci commit
/etc/init.d/openvpn stop
/etc/init.d/network reload
sleep 10
# Might need to reload the config here, but I don't think it's required
/etc/init.d/openvpn start

I haven't actually played around with creating more interface configurations, but it does sound interesting so I will have to look into it..

Thanks for the input!

Archived