Lost your Squirrel in a list of IPs?

Dave-ee Jones

Hoi!

So, for those who like long-term payloads, leaving your Squirrel in the wild, plugged in to a tower of DNS, DHCP and all kinds of Corporate mess you may have realised a dilemma.
Perhaps you realised it when you opened up your network analyzer and felt your grin immediately droop as you stared at the 254 IPs, or perhaps you were just super smart and prepared for the problem in advance. Well, for those who haven't prepared for that problem, I'll give you a few quick ideas of how you can solve it.

What's the problem?

You-plugged-in-your-Squirrel-while-it's-in-the-Bridge-NETMODE-and-lost-it-in-the-254-IPs problem. Yeah. I know, it's horrific. Seriously.

Anyway, here's a few fixes:

1. Use your USB
    • So, we all know that we can plug a USB into our Packet Squirrel, right? What if we made it so on startup the Squirrel writes it's IP to a file on the USB? You can then pull it out when it's displaying it's "I'm ready I'm ready, take it already!" LED combination (perhaps a really, really fast-flashing green?) and either replace it with another USB or quickly plug in the USB to your laptop, extract the IP data and plug it back in the Squirrel. Oh, and while the USB is out the Squirrel is impatiently waiting for a USB to be plugged in with another really, really fast-flashing LED combination.
  2. Use an online notepad
    • You could broadcast the IP of the Squirrel to an outside source like a Google Doc or a Pastebin post (not recommended) or even a Github file. There's basically an infinite amount of possibilities here.
  3. Plug your Squirrel in parallel with an existing device in CLONE NETMODE
    • This is one of the quicker ways, I would think. All you need to do is plug the Squirrel through a device that requires an IP (phone, network printer, laptop, PC, phone, etc.) you already know what the IP of the Squirrel will be because you can just look at the IP of that device.

So there's a few examples of how to get past this problem. Hope it helps!

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR OWN SUGGESTIONS AND EXAMPLES OF HOW YOU MIGHT OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM.

DON'T FORGET TO CORRECT MY MISTAKES WHILE YOU'RE AT IT.

Moi.

Archived