Running a fake DNS server?

fFoska

I set up my own web-server with an IPtables captive portal. Works fine if I'm connected to the internet, otherwise the clients don't get redirected because they can't reach the DNS server. So I was wondering if it would be plausible to run a simple DNS server on my own machine... It would also serve as a captive portal so it should answer the same IP to every request.

1) How is it plausible to set up my own DNS server?

2) Will the client who's connected to the AP try to reach my server on AP's port 53 ?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes.

2. If your dhcp client is setup properly, yes.

3. If you really want to get into this whole pentesting thing, you really need to know the basics of networking, server, and desktop operating systems.  Even if you're not getting into pentesting, you'll get a lot more use out of the pineapple, and really, anything hak5 sells.

I'm still not sure if I can figure this out ... But I'll give it a try.It's a start (I'm using a regular laptop running Mint, not pineapple - probably not a problem?)

Thanks for your help!

Update:

It did work. Turns out I just had to add a line to /etc/dnsmasq.conf as you suggested. I have no idea about DNS configuration but it was easier than I thought. I'm sure dnsmaq.conf has some more options to play with !

Thanks again.

Edited by fFoska
update