Issues & experience so far

Nextor

Hello,

I've had a few issues with the WiFi Pineapple TETRA.

I understand that the pineapple only works by emulating open wifi points that a system may have connected to in the past.

I've been testing this with a number of mobile devices and a laptop, essentially my experience so far has been:

The Wifi Pineapple does not save the Allow mode/Deny mode setting from last time it was used - generally it defaults to deny for both.

After manually setting this back to 'allow' to minimize any collateral damage, I enter the mac address of the target test device into the filtering area.

I then go to the PineAP area and tick

Allow Associations
Log Probes
Log Associations

I then press
PineAP Daemon  switch.

Then select

Capture SSIDs to Pool
Beacon Response

Further, I enter the mac address of the target in the "Target MAC address" section.

Once this has been done, my understanding of what should be the result of the above configuration, is that it will target the specific device I have configured as the target, ensuring that it is the only system that can connect via the filtering area. It should then, via the pineap daemon configuration, capture any requests to previous wifi connections that the device is looking for, then mimic the particular access point back to the system, which should then result in it connecting to the Wifi Pineapple.

The actual behavior seems to be that the system simple connects to its normally known WPA enabled access point, and doesn't appear to broadcast for other previously used access points. I have tried using the de-auth system within the recon area, but again, to no avail, the system simply reconnects to the other access point. Signal strength should not be an issue given the fact that the WiFi Pineapple is only about 30 cm away from it, compared to the WPA access point that is at least a 5/6 meters away through a wall.

Could anyone shed any light on what I may be doing wrong, or any alteration to the configuration which would grant me better success?

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the Tetra for about a week now and will try to answer your questions based off what I've learned.

On August 12, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Nextor said:

The Wifi Pineapple does not save the Allow mode/Deny mode setting from last time it was used - generally it defaults to deny for both.

If you've watched any of the many Wifi Pineapple videos online, you'll notice the same thing, which most likely means this is by design. You could submit your suggestion of persisting these settings to the bug tracker

After manually setting this back to 'allow' to minimize any collateral damage, I enter the mac address of the target test device into the filtering area.

I then go to the PineAP area and tick

Allow Associations
Log Probes
Log Associations

I then press
PineAP Daemon  switch.

Then select

Capture SSIDs to Pool
Beacon Response

Further, I enter the mac address of the target in the "Target MAC address" section.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're specifying a Target MAC address through PineAP, you may not need the Filter configured. This means you can keep both Filter boxes blank and in deny mode, because a device is already being targeted.

Once this has been done, my understanding of what should be the result of the above configuration, is that it will target the specific device I have configured as the target, ensuring that it is the only system that can connect via the filtering area. It should then, via the pineap daemon configuration, capture any requests to previous wifi connections that the device is looking for, then mimic the particular access point back to the system, which should then result in it connecting to the Wifi Pineapple.

The actual behavior seems to be that the system simple connects to its normally known WPA enabled access point, and doesn't appear to broadcast for other previously used access points. I have tried using the de-auth system within the recon area, but again, to no avail, the system simply reconnects to the other access point. Signal strength should not be an issue given the fact that the WiFi Pineapple is only about 30 cm away from it, compared to the WPA access point that is at least a 5/6 meters away through a wall.

From my understanding if the AP the device connects to is encrypted, the association to your rouge AP would not be automatic. For this scenario the constant deauth could to a point social engineer the device user to manually select your rouge AP in the broadcasted SSID list of their wifi settings. If the AP was an open AP, then the association should be working.

• Upvote 2