Is the Ubiquiti Nano good for Open WiFi, Long Distance?

0phoi5

Hey all,

Is this product any good for long-distance use of an open WiFi hotspot?

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeamm/

There are around 10 houses between me and the Open Wifi hotspot, however this thing states it can do 15km and the hotspot is only around 2-3km away. I could probably raise it high enough to see over the top of a few of the houses.

Ta.

How far would one be able to connect to an Open WiFi if they could only set up hardware on their end?

It's a local pub, I can't set up equipment there unfortunately. I know the landlord and they are happy for me to connect, but I can't go setting any equipment up there.

Is a Yagi the best bet?

Edited by haze1434

How far would one be able to connect to an Open WiFi if they could only set up hardware on their end?

I can't set up equipment there unfortunately.

It really depends on what the hardware is at McD's or whatever has the open wifi. I used to live about a mile from one, could see it, but couldn't make a connection, even with a high gain [cough]illegal[/cough] powered antenna. Might be able to work a couple houses down, might only work from across the street.