RAM Settings

Rab

I'm wondering if anyone has an answer to my system instability problem.

asus p5w dh deluxe

geil 2x1gb 800mhz ddr2 4-4-4-12

core 2 duo 6300

OK, i've checked the manual, and it doesn't give a lot of information. However, previously the ram posted as pc2-5300. i went into BIOS and changed the details to 4-4-4-12 2.1V with a write recovery time of 4 which was default and there was no indication of what to set it to. these settings saw it post at pc2-6400 which is correct, however i got a bsod on driver loading. as there was no indication of what the write recovery time should be, i went to a few forums and checked people's settings, they generally seemed to be set to 3 instead of 4, so i made this change. i've now got into windows, and i'll run memtest again for the rest of the day. i dont know if this has solved the problem because it's intermittent, i'll just stress test a bit and see how it goes.

OK, the efforts described in my previous message were unsuccessful, the machine rebooted during memtest.

I've got hold of a copy of CPU-Z and it tells me some unexpected results as follows:

MEMORY>

DDR2 Dual 2048MB

Frequency: 400.6mhz ?? should be 800?

FSB:DRAM : 2:3

cas 4.0

ras to cas delay 4

ras precharge 4

cycle time 12

bank cycle time 20 ?? what's this?

SPD> both the same

DDR2 1024MB

Correction: None

Max Bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333mhz) ?? should be 6400?

manufacturer: GeIL

Part Number: CL5-5-5DDR2 ?? should be 4-4-4 ?

epp: no

manuf date: week 39 '06

timing table: (the last value is labelled as trc, dunno what that is)

@200 mhz 3-3-3-9-12

@266 mhz 4-4-4-12-16

@333 mhz 5-5-5-15-20

what should i do?

wait I'm confused, did you mess with these settings yourself. just jump your BIOS back to default, and then mess with them again, and so on till you get the results you want.

Personally there are enough bottleneck's in my system to make messing with RAM timings unjustifiable. so i dont claim to know much about such things. mind you pc2700 is still insanely fast in my head.