7 days of experience (Need some help)

Hello dear friends from Hak5 Forums:

I got the Pineapple Mark V around 2 weeks ago, and have been using it since no more than a week. I have some experience in the information security field, but during the last year and half I've been completely away from the industry to be totally honest with you.

So, first of all, my question: ¿What's the best way available today to capture as many passwords as possible on an specific area using the wifi pineapple in order to make a small demonstration for a company?

Here's my experience so far: I connected the wifi pineapple and used a 3rd external usb wireless adaptor (Awus Alfa) included in one of the kits, in order to connect the Pineapple into my own wireless network.

"Downgrading" SSL: The first thing I have done, is to try a old but classic Moxie Marlinspike's SSLstrip in order to capture some traffic, and hopefully some credentials, but then I realized it wasn't working the same way it was working a year ago, due the recent implementation of HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security). I found that it's not longer possible to "downgrade" the connections to HTTP on the servers that have this technology implemented. No luck.

Cookies: I also tried capturing some cookies and then loading them into the browser using 2 different modules: one to actually capture the cookies, and another one, which is Evil Portal, basically to redirect all the traffic into a initial page which is iframing a lot of different websites that I wanted the user to open in order to capture their cookies. No luck. I was able to capture some of the cookies and partial information, but none of them actually allowed me to hijack the user's session, as I would guess that this information is also not being transmitted on plain HTTP anymore.

So, my question is, how do you guys to to have some fun with this brilliant pen testing tools considering the current conditions on the IT security field? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something!

Kind regards, and hope to be able to help with some modules soon enough!

Chris;

I've come to view the Pineapple as a tool box that contains specialized tools; sometimes these tools don't work so well (because the very thing that made the tool able to be specialized is no longer relavent), and sometimes they work amazingly well (such as Harvester in firmware 2.3.0+). At the end of the day, though, everything that the Pineapple can do can also be done with a Linux machine and two appropriate wireless adapters; in fact, odds are the latter will deliver more consistent and accurate results. The trade-off is the learning curve and amount of experimentation needed to get the "traditional" tools to do what you want.

Point in case (although admittedly anecdotal): de-authing from Recon Mode is something I would label as "flaky" (at best) and de-authing from the infusion tile is something I would call "unintuitive" (but more reliable than the Recon Mode de-auth), but I can plug in my AWUS051NH to my Linux laptop and de-auth to my heart's content without a single issue.

Edited by scantlina