Pineapple and a MiFi Device

pabo2uk

Ususually, yes. It depends on the model of "mifi". The Novatel products I've seen mostly support cdc_ether - which usually means either a usb0 or eth1 interface will be brought up automatically. It's normally just a matter of getting an IP from DHCP and you're off to the races. I'm about to do a video on two such devices today and will be updating wifipineapple.com/modems shortly.

I have used a vodafone mifi and it works great with the pineapple. I just use the network tile on the pineapple to connect to the mifi. I can then connect to the pineapple with my laptop and browse the web through the pineapple/mifi. I have found the mifi a lot better than using usb dongles.

Oh of course in client mode over WiFi they'll work great. I was saying hard tethered over USB usually works as well. Plug one in and check the syslog for something like:

May 29 16:14:59 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [73507.280000] cdc_ether 1-1.2:1.0: eth1: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-ehci-platform-1.2, CDC Ethernet Device, 58:2c:80:13:92:63

for an eth1 device or

May 29 20:26:33 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [88601.080000] rndis_host 1-1.2:1.0: usb0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-ehci-platform-1.2, RNDIS device, 02:52:00:04:64:34

for a usb0 device.

I think it's the R230-Z (can't find the box and it doesn't say on the device) it looks like the attched photo though. Not sure if you're in the UK but I got mine from argos. The one they are selling at the minute (vodafone R206) should work as well as the one I have.

post-40646-0-68475300-1401641336_thumb.j